Life in the City

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    To partially answer my own question.

A bus driver in London can make 2000 quid a month ($3200 USD / 42,000 Pesos). I wouldn't be surprised if a Cancun bus drivers basic wage is a tenth of that - especially since they dont seem to require any kind of driving expertise.

If the Cancun bus company eliminated driver theft they could afford to pay a higher wage, and require a higher standard of driver. Cut down on accidents, offer a better service to passengers and make more money.

I still cant understand though, why they dont.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    City crews were removing brush that obscured drivers' views of the intersection at Av Bonampak and the street on which the Universidad del Caribe is located, near the end of last week.

The intersection looks much better now, and is probably safer as well.

Anybody notice how much fewer mosquitos we have now? Apparently the vector supression programs are working well, this year.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Malecon Cancun

The new malecon, developed on the western shore of Laguna Nichupte, has certainly turned out nicely. It represents a place to have a beautiful view of the lagoon and of the hotel zone, as well as a very nice place to walk and run. It was also the scene of the start/finish for Cancun's International Marathon event held every year at this time.

The format for the annual marathon was radically changed by moving it to a 5 AM start, instead of a 5 PM start. The weather was beautiful, and it is said that 2,000 runners took part. The first of the marathoners was in by about 7:30 AM, with Kenyans winning both the men's and women's events. Best time was just about 2:18.

The event was run with full sanction by international record keeping bodies, but no one was able to seriously challenge the record on this day....

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The new Malecon is indeed beautiful. The other day I saw the biggest blue crab that I have ever seen.

It is sad however, that "Punks With Paint" have already started defacining benches, railings and even the nice sidewalks.

We should get a gang together with acetone, rubbers gloves, rags, brushes and guns to go take back our park. Rawkus can be in charge of this since he did not step up to take charge of the Charles Bronson type vigilante committee. Ah, that would be from the Death Wish movies.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Exceedingly loud music, all night, has again become a regular feature for those living within two KMs of the bullring.

Valgunn lives closer to the source than anyone I know, just across the intersection from the bullring.

Any comments on how you cope with it?

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Looks like the city may have, once again, clamped down on the loud music emanating from the bars around the bullring because we have now had two nights in a row, including Friday night, in which the music shut down early and was a lot less to begin with.

A chorus of complaints is probably what prompts the city to act: thank god they care about keeping us happy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice