Life in the City

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jan 18, 2012.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mat: Back home one doesnt have to think - its done for you, with the help of zoning ;)

Also, I miss our "quiet after 10pm"-rule: First call to the "Disturbance Patrol" will result in a warning. Second will result in a fine, usually the value of half the monthly rent, third - cops will come by, electricity will be cut and the person will be charged. Have never heard of it going past step #2...

We live just off Yaxillan(Ill never learn to spell that..), right behind the La Taberna and other venues, but being on the bottom floor, we dont get any of the noise. Only thing are the drunks going home at 530am when I walk the dogs, but usually that also pays off as they manage to drop anything from 50 to 500 peso bills, hehe :D

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another adventure tonight. I went to see El Artista at Paseo Cancun. This is a movie about motion pictures before they filmed with sound.

Well I had plenty of sound. The idiots across the aisle, man and woman, talked the entire time. I started using the Police light function of my phone to light them up. They never looked over. I smuggled in some pretzels and made as much noise with them as I could and still not even a glance. My last resort was to bang out a rhythm with my empty soda cup every time the guy started up. They were clueless.

Finally, after the movie, I walked out behind them, returned a call to a friend who called me during the movie, and ranted loud enough for them to hear me. I even passed them going down the stairs and kept up my rant.

QUESTION: Did these people think that I was rude? To call them morons or idiots is an insult to morons and idiots. Whew, now I feel so much better.

3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw the Artist last night at VIP Las Americas - great movie by the way, really enjoyed it.

No noise problems and the place was half empty.

There again lesson to be learnt...:icon_lol:

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mat, we saw it Sunday and liked it very much, then watched the Oscars- which made it doubly enjoyable!

(Fortunately, when we saw it, everyone in the theater was respectful of the need to be quiet!)

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Where and When to Shop

Part of establishing an enjoyable life here is finding out where and when to shop. Gringation has praised Mega Commercial on Av Kabah earlier on this thread: today, for the first time, I went there early of a Sunday morning.

It was amazing. The place was largely deserted (7:45 AM), but the shelves were fully stocked with very good looking fruits and vegetables. Of course there were no lines at checkout, so now I can join her in recommending it, at least on Sundays, early AM!

6. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: We usually go in the evening, and it's the same. No lines for checkout :) Maybe 1 customer in front of us. And the produce always looks great!

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Has anyone else noticed the way Av Bonampak is being spruced up? The city´s been busy painting curbs and lamp posts. It makes a difference, especially when combined with better maintenance of the grassy areas.

I was told recently that the Mayor of Cancun, and the Governor of Qroo are both trying to see what they can do for Cancun. Nice....

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had to leave my car for a couple of hours today north on Bonampak. Took the R-9 bus to Tacos Rigo and walked home from there.

I only had a $50 and I had to wait for change. I took a front row seat. Here is where it gets interesting. The driver was repeatedly putting money in the cup holder. I started paying attention. What he was doing was keeping track of how much he was stealing by separating iris cut from the bus company cut. About every third person or couple did not get offered a receipt and the $6 or $12 went in the cup holder. When I got my $44 change it was 14 coins. He was even making his own change from the bills. I can explain in more detail but you get my drift.

This is so wrong. Maybe fares would be $5 and $7 if these drivers weren't as corrupt as everyone else. WE all end up paying more for our goods and services eventually because of things like this. Makes me crazy. I want to be a vigilante. Let's form a group. Rawkus can run it. Like that Charles Branson character. Rawkus kind of looks like him, minus the mustache and wig.

9. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm in if I get to wear a cape?

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    You know, I think many companies just bring this kind of thing on themselves.

How long has this been going on? Probably ever since Cancun started a bus service - 30 years? Some companies give out share options, some a good pension, others a turkey at Christmas. The bus company? They allow their drivers to steal half their takings. All drivers do it, it's a perk of the job.

Harping on about the UK again. Buses in my home City require exact fare. The passenger deposits coins in a slot which has a window facing the driver so he can check the correct fare has been paid. The driver then pushes a button to confirm correct fare, money is deposited into a locked 'piggy bank' and a ticket is dispensed. The driver never touches money, nor ticket.

This is not new, this system has run as long as I can remember - maybe 35 years at least.

The investment required is minimal, the benefits for the company vast. So, why do they not do it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice