Life in the City

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jan 18, 2012.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It seems that when the phone rings often enough at police HQ, they do something about it! So far as I´m aware, the "View" was only operational for one night. Someone like Val, who lives across the street, may have a different report to make.

What was remarkable about the very large Mariachi band was how loud they truly were, even without amplification. No wonder armies have used trumpets to communicate, even over the din of battle. On a quiet night, that sound can carry for miles, and bass drums even more so....

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chedraui at Plaza Las Americas has a great cheese section.

V - If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. The Mojitos at LDG are very good but you MUST have them open a new can/bottle of agua mineral or they will be sort of flat. Fidel would never approve.

Seriously though, I am sorry you have to put up with middle of the night mariachis.

When it gets noisy at my home, I open a window and seranade the offenders with my futbol horn, that is louder and more shrill than a train whistle. That won't work in your case.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Rawkus, have you reflected on how likely that move- of complaining to the business owners- was to actually improve things, when the owners depend on that entertainment to attract their customers?

The only potentially effective route is to complain to the police, every time the music cranked up. If enough people do that, the police will act.

I"m still curious to see what Val's observations have been, since he lives closer to the source of the noise- about the club called the "View" and about the very large mariachi group that plays from time to time, usually from 1:30 AM to 4:30 AM on Wed and Thurs nights, at Las de Guanatos.

4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: He didnt approach the owner. He walked up to the cops hanging out just next doors, told them, confirmed phone calls over several weeks.

Then the owners goons(guards, if you will), approached him and started pushing him. Just seconds after that, the owner came, hit the guy in the face, before the goons jumped it. Then he got stabbed by that particular owner(think the place had 2 owners). The cops he approached at first, didnt intervene in any way at all. The man was left and the owner and his gorillas went back inside. We are talking about a man who at that time was 63 years old....

What got the cops to finally show up, was the guard on our street.

People reported the place for several years.

Edit: The cops only came because of the stabbing - they barely even glanced at the nightclub when our neighbor pointed out where it all happened.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's not pretty what happened to the guy, but in these circumstances it makes more sense to organize a community response, once you have identified the source of the noise. These problems, when they occur, affect hundreds of home owners to some degree; in our case, all those living within about a two KM radius.

In my experience, the police are very responsive to complaints of noise at night: it gets a little more complicated for them when the source of the noise is a club, or other entertainment venue; and, in those cases, you can't do better than a community response which strengthens the hands of the police in dealing with it.

6. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats what people had done even before we moved there, with absolutely no positive results whatsoever.

Dont know if there was a different nightclub before "Rooftop Garden"(or something like that), but the years we lied there, with the nightclub, were really stressful. People facing east, also had their apartments illuminated thanks to the strobes, lights etc.

The stabbing was what finally started the cops to even bother coming. Sad that it had to go that far, but, it did and later they closed. Dont know if it was that or simply the lack of income, as that entire plaza slowly died out.

Personally, I call the local cops as little as possible. Its such a blend: One guy/girl really cares, whilst most of them couldnt even be bothered at all.

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Found an older article on the "Roof garden".

Here is the original article(Spanish): Novedades de Quintana Roo

Here is the translated text(bare with the, at sometimes, very strange translation, haha):

New complaint against terrace-bar by the noise arises

Now, neighbors of the supermanzana 4 affirm
    that the scandal does not leave them to sleep in peace
    By Linen Vine

Neighbors of the supermanzana 4 required to the municipal government the closure of the terrace-bar The Roof Garden, in stock Nayandei, that as happens in the area of Tip Cancun, generates, among others inconveniences, noise that does not permit to rest the inhabitants of the zone.

In spite of existing a serious problem by the generating establishments of noise in the hotel zone, the municipal government continues permitting that be established this type of places, now even in the heart of the city.
    The problem of the noise generated by the calls terraces-bar has gotten out of control and after being found in a dead end in the hotel zone, now extended to plaza Nayandei, in the heart of the center of the city.
    The shrill operation of one of these localities called The Roof Garden and everything that involves, already alerted the neighbors of the supermanzana 4, who requested the intervention of the authorities.
    The Committee of Neighbors of the supermanzana 4, represented by María of the Dew Martínez Matías, like the president, has done to arrive different positions to the municipal authorities so that do something on the matter.
    In the sent positions, from November of 2006, little before to be inaugurated it cited plaza, the neighbors requested the intervention of the municipal authorities, upon realizing the noise that would be generated.
    In one of the missives directed so much to the municipal presidency, as to the directions of Ecology, Urban Development, Health, Public Security and Civic Participation, they request that the The be closed Roof Garden.
    The main motive of the complaint is because, just like the terraces located in Tip Cancun, in stock Nayandei functions the terrace to open sky, that according to the neighbors, emits noise far above the norm.
    But not all remains there, the complaining affirm that in passed days even the police been present in an operating fort, before the great neighbors calls number so that they silenced the scandal.
    And the fact is that, they indicated, in highly hours at night the parishioners leave the place in inconvenient state, and upon not there being capacity of parking in the plaza, they accommodate their cars set against their houses, where they assemble scandals of drunks.
    Just like the neighbors affected by the noise in the zone of beaches, in this case the neighbors require that their right be respected to live in peace, like they did it since 25 years ago, when the zone only was a mangrove swamp.
    "To promote the investment should not be at the cost of sacrificing the life of those that arrived first, that they raised this tourist pole and that today they work for recovering the peace in their homes", they indicate in one of the letters.
    With the pressure that exercised since last year, the neighbors of the supermanzana 4 achieved that in said plaza they closed the bars "Scala" and "Wayans", nevertheless, now opened the The Roof Garden.
    They are around 400 families the ones that live in the zone and that consider affected their auditory space and their fundamental right to rest with the hours of necessary dream for a healthy life.
    At first sight the terrace can be observed where three horns are seen at least that give toward the street, near where before there was an emergency exit, for which the neighbors also are asked if they will include this service.

Enlarged the capital gain

Above all this situation, the bookkeeper and administrator of the plaza, Alfonso Zaldívar Mountain, defends its position and argues that the creation of the plaza even benefited the neighbors, upon being increased the capital gain of the zone.

It maintained that the neighbors complain until the noise of the fumigation and of the trucks that collect the trash, because they have not realized that they live in a zone a hundred commercial percent, aimed.
    On the other hand, used that if the authorities gave the permissions and licenses of operation, should be because the establishment complies with all the norms that the law establishes.

8. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Living in Malecon Americas does have its pluses and minuses. Noise at night is an issue, but it hits us early 7-11pm when the kids are getting ready for bed and we want to watch a movie or sit out on the terrace. Most often it tolerable, except on busy/festive weekends when it gets started early. If the bass wasn't cranked to max dbs it would bother us at all.

We however are used to living in large cities and noise doesn't get to all that often. I could see how if could impact others. At this point we are still happy living in Torre Vancouver, and the views/conveniences are worth it. Need something from the grocery store, card swipe the private entrance in to the mall and walk to the grocery store. We are regulars at Cinepolis VIP and it's nice not having to drive. Gas for our car averages maybe $50 a month and that includes taking a trip or two to PDC or Tulum. Literally dozens of restaurants within a short walking distance. My wife is a big runner, so the running trail out to the HZ is very close. On one side we can see Isla Mujeres and the crescent arc of the hotel zone, the other is most of the city of Cancun.

Again as I mentioned we are city people, living in the centers of Barcelona, Berlin, Oslo, Paris, Dallas, and Miami. So we're aware of the negatives for making such choices.

9. valgunn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah the mariachi/jazz band is loud. Was wondering why the hell they were going full bore during the middle of the week. We caught some terrible karaoke from somewhere around the bullring as well one evening.

10. valgunn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We use Mega for fruit/vegetables and cheeses. Chedraui is just not very good for this and their meats as well--which we use Costco for. Other than bulk items, Chedraui is find with selection and price. I cannot stand Walmart, and avoid if at all possible--even the Superamas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice