Life in the City

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jan 18, 2012.

1. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bruce,

Try this place for the cheese that you might crave. Try calling them first before you make the trip there. The Central de Abastos is full of businesses that cater to the Hotels in the area and are usually open to the public. Great place for fresh veggies and high quality meats.

CHARCUTERIA FINA S.A. DE C.V. - C/V DE CARNES FRIAS -
    Teléfono - (998)8865537 - Cancun, Cancun

Domicilio: CARRETERA CANCUN-AEROPUERTO CENTRAL DE ABASTO BODEGA 25-26 - EJIDO ALFREDO V BONFIL - CP: 77560 - CARRETERA CANCUN-AEROPUERTO CENTRAL DE ABASTO BODEGA 25-26 - EJIDO ALFREDO V BONFIL - CP: 77560 - Cancun

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad you liked Mega!

Maybe you went on a bad day, but I know I've seen almost all of the cheeses you mentioned:

1. cheddar
    2. bleu cheese
    3. feta
    4. swiss (although it wasn't as "hole-y" as what I used to have in the States)

Don't remember seeing gorgonzola, but then again I've never looked for it.

Good luck :)

3. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, they had cheddar and feta. I bought the feta and it didn't taste anything like what I call feta. I didn't see any bleu cheese or swiss and definitely not gorgonzola.

I needs me some strong, stinky bleu cheese LOL

4. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've bought bleu cheese there several times! They usually offer several different brands. Maybe try in another week or two?

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    IMPORTANT TO ME: BOHEMIA DARK, $84 at Soriana.

TORI B: Let's go to Laura's for dinner. She has all the good stuff. BUT we can bring beer. We know how to do that.

TORI B: "Not much religion" ?? You can do something about that and I can help. It does a body good. Soul too.

6. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Costco is another place to find a good selection of cheese. Over the weekend, I bought some Feta and Fresh Mozzerella. I enen saw a selection of Provolone, Jarlsberg, Mozzerella wrapped in proscuito, blue cheese and baby bell among others. The even had a tasting table of a variety sharp swiss cheeses

7. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now I have to buy a damn Costco membership I guess. Already had Sams and bought City Club when I moved here.

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Noise

For us, the biggest hardship of "life in the city" is the noise, especially at night.

Recently, a nightclub called the "View" opened in the Solaris Shopping Center (I think I've got that name right, it's across from the bullring). Two Saturdays ago, as I recall, it was blazing away with the most incredibly loud music I've ever been exposed to. At around 4 AM it was still going and I went to investigate, and fume.

Since that time, I haven't heard it, and last night I went by and it was darkened. Can it be that neighborhood complaints shut it down? I live more than a KM away, and it was disturbing us: I can't imagine what it must have been like for those closer to the scene, if they were trying to sleep.

In the recent past, Las de Guanatos has built a permanent outdoor seating area in the parking lot of the bullring, just in case we couldn't hear their music. At 3:40 AM not so long ago I had to find out who was making all the racket, and it was coming from them....

A fifteen piece mariachi band was playing, from 1:30 AM to 4:30 AM (Wednesdays and Thursday evenings, as it turned out). They had seven trumpets, a bass horn, and a very large and loud drum. The sound of this band carried for more than two KMs; in fact, when I first heard it, I walked north (sound echoing off buildings can make it hard to determine the direction, initially).

On a bad night, like these, all windows and doors shut, a/c on, and earplugs in still do not keep you from hearing the music.

These performances also seem to have now ceased: can it be that neighborhood complaints have had their effect? The police will respond to complaints of noise, in my experience, but to shut down a commercial operation I think they must get a chorus of complaints before they will act decisively.

9. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That sucks V....all we hear out here after dark is birds and crickets!

10. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That rem inds me of ONE thing that I really and truly miss from Sweden: Zoning!! Residential, commercial and industrial. Its as easy as A, B, C :)

V: When we moved to Retorno Cielo(across the park from you), there was a nightclub called Roof Garden or similar, in the now closed down(?) Plaza Nayandei, right next to TV Azteca.

That nightclub blasted loud music till 4-5 am, almost every damn night. Well, a neighbor that lives in one of the houses when you enter from Bonampak, went to complain... He ended up getting stabbed and beat up, by what reports say was one of the owners. The cops didnt really intervene as they were "hanging out" with the idiot owner, so he struggled back to his house and told the guard on our street, whom then called the cops.

Hope you get it sorted in the long run. Im sure LOTS of people have complained.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice