Life in the City

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jan 18, 2012.

1. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awesome! Where is it?

And I've got to checkout this Bodega place too.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    City bus travel

I guess we're talking about the Mega next to Costco, eh G.? In that case, I'll drop in to have a look at those cheeses, next time I go to Costco, and my bus to the university takes me by the Bodega Aurera that Sam is talking about, every day.

Sometimes changes bring unintended consequences, as we all know, and it's no exception with attempts to improve "life in the city".

Several months ago, large numbers of new city buses hit the streets of Cancun, a welcome development for those of us who use the city buses to get around. Unfortunately, this change brought some unintended consequences.

The problem is that these buses represent several different private companies, and with more buses on the streets an intense competition for passengers has arisen, prompting the drivers to a recklessness less common, before. Many of them, maybe a majority, are driving faster than ever, and making abrupt stops, throwing passengers about. I was in a near miss, recently, in which the driver was speeding on Av Tulum, at the roundabout near the ADO, when a line of cars ahead suddenly slowed. The driver hit the brakes, but couldn't stop in time: fortunately, there was enough room in the roadway for him to miss the cars ahead by veering to the side. Without that clearance, there would have been a terrific, rear end collision.

I'll do my part by "taking names" and filing reports of reckless driving, but I'm afraid this may not get better until a serious accident calls the problem to the authorities' attention.

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure if anyone has noticed but 3 or 4 of the big stores (Bodega Aurrerá being one of them) this week have been closed and fined for selling out-of-date products so check dates.

4. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mega Comercial Mexicana is located on Avenida Kabah, in the same shopping center as Costco. (Also right next to the soccer stadium) Probably not the cheapest option, but they have the best/freshest produce section I've ever seen in Cancun, plus it's never crowded!

5. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Superama on the Bonempak has quite a good selection of cheese as well next to the meats.

The best ham/turkey etc. I've found is the brand Peñeranda - jamon tipo york and the pechuga de pavo sin sal are both great.

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can only second Gringation when it comes to Mega on Kabah: By far our favorite place for groceries. Fruits and veggies pretty much always seem fresher than other places(especially Wal Mart centro and the disgusting Chedraui on Av Tulum). I always buy my salmon and tilapia in Mega as well.

The cheese-area is well organized and has decent supply for a decent cost.

Plus, one does not have to be stalked and harassed by the meat/cheese sales people like in Wal Mart, jaja :D

Another plus: Have never had to put up with obnoxiously loud reggaeton and techno in Mega.

7. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I travel mostly by bus, HZ and City, and I must say, inspite of not having much religion in me, I do say a few silent words once seated on a bus. I wonder why there are no accidents...I have yet to see one...with these monster hell on wheels. I haven't seen any difference when it come to their driving, as V has pointed out. Just more morons fighting to get to the next full stop to rip off us customers.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    I read that earlier in the week.

I always heard that once stuff gets near its sell by date in the centro locations it gets shipped out to the outlying supermarkets to be sold at a cheaper price.

I'll give it a miss I think.

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BruceWedding:

Swung by Costco today and found a 24-pack of Coke Lights for 162 pesos.

Edit: Now I see that you asked for "Diet", rather than "Light".

10. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Coke Lite will work.

I went to Mega today and loved it. Finally a reasonable facsimile of a US supermarket. But, the mentioned imported cheese section was sorely lacking and it did NOT have most of the cheeses I mentioned.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice