Life in the City

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jan 18, 2012.

1. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I must be on the poor side as I have yet in 2 yrs buy any of these items. My how I do miss Salmon : (

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scorpio:

Im surprised how expensive groceries are in Cancun.

Back home, even "social welfare slackers" can buy loads of salmon, fruits etc. Jaja :)

The only thing I LOVE tu buy here are avocados and bell-peppers, which are CRAZY expensive back home during 6 months of the year(winter), since its all imported.

Other than that, I miss grocery shopping from back home. Bread is REAL bread, not crap filled with preservatives etc. Have never been able to taste the preservatives until arriving in Mexico... I am quite picky with my bread, however.

Cheese - sooooo many, but soooo few that actually taste anything at all. And also quite expensive.

The variety of fruits, and avocados and bell peppers balances it a bit at least. :)

Ps. Cant tell you the price of beer, but if/when you decide to come here, they are on me :)

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    OK then, excluding health insurance, travel, and the expenses associated with dating, 14,000 pesos per month would cover your basic costs, while allowing some salmon, now and then.

As you could guess, it's easy to spend more than that, and possible to live on less....

Who're ya trying to kid, Rawkus!

Just at the moment beer drinkers are the beneficiary of the brewers worrying that too many Mexicans may have made damaging New Year's Resolutions, and prices have been slashed in an effort to get them to change their minds.

The 1.27 liter bottle of Victoria is now 15 pesos; six packs of Pacifico are 53 pesos....

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: I bow before you! :D

Ps. We should try some beer someday soon. Havent visited my old hood in quite some time. :)

5. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For people who like cheese which actually has a flavor (sharp cheddar, bleu cheese, gorgonzola, feta, swiss) good luck. Everything here is mild white cheese with no flavor.

Rum is almost 1/2 the US price yet bourbon is about 30% more than in the US. Beer is cheap.

Some cuts of beef are cheap like NY strip, ribeye and sirloin but they slice it too damn thin and ALL the beef has a funny flavor for me.

As mentioned, salmon is 30% or more than US prices. Coffee isn't available the way I'm used to, like a 3lb can. And it is expensive.

One thing I miss here, being a Diet Coke addict, is being able to buy a 20 or 24 pack case. The largest they sell are 6 packs and then you have to buy like 2 liter bottles, which go flat.

My GF has commented that the vegetables and herbs don't last near as long here as they do in the US. Not sure why, maybe they don't spray the preservatives on them, but living in the HZ is a pain in the ass to go to town 3X a week for groceries.

6. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mega Comercial Mexicana has an imported cheese stand (by the ham counter) with the options you mention above, and then some. More expensive than the Mexican cheeses, but definitely affordable for the occasional treat. I've splurged $30 pesos or so on some blue cheese in the past.

Or for those who want Mexican cheeses with a kick, I recommend anything jalapeƱo flavored :)

7. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All the prices you quoted Gringation, I would say that Bodega Aurera is cheaper on everything.

On the corner of Corales (head down the bonampak towards punta sam, left at the last oxxo a little bit after the new road on the right starts) and straight up to the lights, as if you were heading towards Cancun Mall (Av 20 de Novembre?)

The molida especial in there is very cheap and often tastes better than the sirloin. Stuff like pre-cooked brown rice (orange packet, forget the make) is 13 pesos when i've found it at 25 pesos in chedraui and 30 in Soriana (the Waitrose of Mexico LOL!)

Either way, it looks like prices here, Canada and the US are all cheaper than England, my mum said a loaf of bread was 2 pounds! I said 'mum what happened to a 19p tesco value loaf! She said she didn't know what tesco value was ;-)' :)

8. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also if your looking for half decent cheese, Cheddars (our new name for Chedraui) has Sharp and Extra Cheddar for a half decent price.

9. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah it's a standard supermarket, owned by Walmart. I've noticed that prices change depending on what part of town your in, for instance, Chedraui in Las Americas is probably the most expensive of the Chedrauis and the one furthest down Lopez Portillo (opposite the market, next to KFC, not the one where they have the circus next to it) is the cheapest we've found.

10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Two pounds for a loaf of bread!!!! A loaf of standard bread in Sainsburys, better than that bimbo cr*p they call bread here is 47p or 9.5 pesos - cheaper than here!

Groceries in England, especially when you take into account average wages are way cheaper than here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice