Let's lose some weight

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Klaw, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Lisa Groves

Lisa Groves Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Right! Diet starts today!! I have cleared fridge out of all Xmas food - and am now ready to start health kick today!!!!

I am drinking a smoothie for breakfast!!!!!

Marj is making my tea tonight - hope it is healthy - but I know she wanted to start loosing some weight - so maybe low fat west indian food it is!!!!

2. jenfleur

jenfleur Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I am back and come to Bristol, we will have low-fat buffet! We can make fajitas!

I got off the bus 4 stops late rather than early and walked up the steep hill! Couldn't breathe but it was satisfying!

3. R.I. GAL

R.I. GAL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Walking is great Jen :D

I did great yesterday until Greg brought out the chocolate cake he made for Gregory's birthday....I just HAD to have a piece :oops:

OK today is another day :!: :!: I'm ready to go :D :D

Glad you enjoyed your first Curves workout, Karan :D

4. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alright...on my way to fix me a good breakfast. :cool:

5. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    alright...that was yum! and I'm stuffed.

1 large egg, scrambled... 6.25 grams protein
    1 english muffin, toasted... 4 grams protein (zero fat)
    1 strawberry smoothie... 5 grams protein (zero fat)

Yes, it should have been an egg white scrambled...but I didn't think about it until it was too late! :roll:

Now, I must drink my daily 100 oz of water....yes...100 :shock:

6. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    also, another great online website to use is www.fitday.com

You can track all of your calories, fat grams, etc on there...check it out...its a really 'put together' program.

7. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    guess I'm talking to myself this morning...but I wanted to pass on this information for ya'll. I have taken a few nutrition classes the past couple years...and really got into fitness training at one point in my life. Here is an article from Muscle & Fitness magazine about low-fat salad dressings....best to moderate the real stuff, I'm glad, because I hate the flavor of low-fat dressings:

Food fallacy: fat-free salad dressing is best
    Muscle & Fitness, August, 2005 by Beth Saltz

THE TRUTH: Since fat is so high in calories, we've been conditioned to use fat-free dressing on our salads. The problem is that some nutrients in your salad are fat-soluble, meaning they need some fat to get them where they need to go. A recent study about healthy antioxidants lycopene and beta-carotene concluded that eating them without some accompanying fat wastes their protective benefits.

THE ACTION: Can you use reduced-fat salad dressing instead of fat-free? Nope. Another study found that full-fat dressing resulted in substantially greater absorption of healthy carotenoids, compared to reduced-fat. So skip the reduced-fat dressing unless you include another fat source like sunflower seeds in your salad. Another option is to use a limited amount of full-fat dressing.--BETH SALTZ, MPH

8. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I figured I might as well tell you guys what my current regime is with weight loss. It must be working pretty well because I lost over 40 pounds last year, and I lost the 5 pounds I gained over the holidays already.

My lovely fiance Karen is a weight watchers member. She is also doing great with the weight loss. Over 30 pounds in one year. Anyway, she did the points system for a long time which did help a lot, but she was always hungry and counting points and such. Bottom line, it was a lot of effort for what she was getting out of it.

She switched to their "core" plan last year and I jumped on board to see what would happen (hence the 40 pounds lighter me). Basically it is a limited group of foods that you can eat as much as you want of within reason.

Things I can't eat:
    1. Breads or grains that are not of the whole grain variety. Whole grains are limited to 1 serving a day.
    2. Anything with refined sugars. That eliminates candy, pastries and even a lot of prepared foods or frozen foods. A lot of foods have sugar, fructose or other sweeteners that you would not expect.
    3. Fatty meats. No more prime rib for me.
    4. Dairy products that are not fat free.
    5. There are more that I cant remember, but its basically anything that is bad for you.

Things I can eat:
    1. Fruit. All kinds and as much as I want
    2. Limited whole grains. I eat wheat pasta, artisan breads, whole grain wraps.
    3. Vegetables. All kinds and as much as I want.
    4. Most beans. I eat fat free baked beans, pinto beans, reed beans etc.
    5. Brown rice. White rice is bad, but red beans and rice is good
    6. Lean meats. I eat turkey burgers instead of beef now. Lean beef cuts are good, chicken, turkey and pork are all good too. The supermarket I go to sells small marinated pork loins for about $5 which feeds both of us.
    7. Egg whites. I hate eggs so this does me no good
    8. Breakfast foods... plain quick oats with sugar free syrup, unsweetened puffed wheat, vegetarian sausage patties, fruit, one cup of juice, plain yogurt with fresh fruit, etc.
    9. Since ice cream is out, my new favorite dessert is Haagen Dazs Mango Sorbet. Try it sometime. it is awesome.

There is more to it than what I wrote but I just wanted to give the overview. I never feel hungry, my stomach ulcers have gone away and I feel better than I ever have since I started this diet. I get all the info for free from Karen, but you can even join Weight Watchers online and never have to go to a meeting too.

Hope this helps somebody :D

9. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My goal is diet-modification to lower cholesterol. Don't need to lose any weight...the last two holiday seasons I actually lost weight! Can't do any meaningful cardio exercise thanks to the three knee-biters.

10. Lisa Groves

Lisa Groves Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok Michael - dont rub it in!!!! :( :( :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice