Legal advise - Importing coffee for personal use?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by gutch, Dec 26, 2008.

1. gutch

gutch Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I understand from reading some posts that Temptations Resort provides coffee machines in the rooms but not coffee. I want to bring my own.
    Does anyone have information about bringing food items (ground coffee) into Mexico? Is it permitted to "import" coffee for your own use?

I'm from Canada and used to drinking my "Tims" and want to bring some. I'm thinking of bringing about 10-12 "home brew" pouches but only if it is legal and won't be a hassle.

I'd appreciate advise from people who actually know the laws or if someone could point me in the right direction to find the actual law.

Thanks! Steve

[​IMG]

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mexico grows some very nice coffee so it's a bit odd to import it.

But go ahead and bring yours. I think if it's in individually wrapped pkgs it should be just fine with Customs. And if it's not let them take it away from you and forget it.

Cancun also has 9 Starbucks at last count...I think our 10th is about to open.

3. kmurphy45

kmurphy45 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I find the coffee in Mexico too strong for my taste so I always bring a plastic bag of my favorite brand from home, packed in my luggage. We also bring small flavored individual creamers and have never had any problems. Have been doing this for the past 12 years or so. Then again, I've never had them check my luggage when I've arrived. Though they did check my friend's last year and she had the creamer in her suitcase.

4. rodman4085

rodman4085 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Coffee

Bring your own along....saves a trip to the store there, and bring some filters along too. Most hotels with in room coffee service will refill your daily rations, but if you want more than they give you, bring your own. We also toss in a good quality summer sausage for sandwiches, as we are not too hot on their sausage.....

5. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    while we on the subject of coffee, let me recommend trying the Cuban coffee at the cigar/rum/coffee bar across from the fire station next to the OXXO c-store in the little strip mall. It's called La Casa Del Habano. Try a couple of mojitos (two's plenty, believe me) and some Cuban coffee before you stumble out.

Tell Jorge his friend Felipe from Texas sent you.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I too would agree that bringing in some coffee is not going to be a problem with Customs, but if you have any worries, drop over to Starbucks and buy some. They have many choices and grind it for you as well.

And the filters are an excellent idea.

I thought all you Cancucks drink Tim Horton's.

7. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been bringing my own coffee with me for the last few years. Normally two big tins. Tins are always sealed and have never had any taken away, even during the "random" red light green light searches.

What's ever left when my trip is over (usually about 1.75 tins) is left behind to a Canadian activity staff member.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice