Leg/Shoulder of Pork

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Nov 4, 2008.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rick: Wouldnt min both catching that fish AND eating it! :)

RG: The only animal I eat is fish. No dairy, no red meat and no chicken for tha last 14 years of my 29 year long life :)

I manage pretty well in most restaurants.

But the fish? I can never stop eating it I think.. But I do only eat fish that I have caught myself...

2. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Permit the size of the one pictured, are excellent eating. (much better than pompano IMO) However, I released that particular one, because I had no way to properly keep it on ice, and no way to prepare it on that trip. It remains to be seen if I will kill a permit taken from the Cancun area....depends on how many I think there are, and I don't want to deplete the fishery for others. Besides, there are plenty of other great tasting fish in this area....like snook. Plenty of them around, and among the best table fare going. Try a small one fried whole, al mojo de ajo. Wow.

3. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks i'll try Costco and the Sorianna butchers, CancunCanuck when you say Lomo, you mean like a big slice of the fillet (back i think) cooked whole? If it's what i think they have it in like a long fat strip?

Also when you say roasting pan, was it a real one with roasting rack or was it a foil tray for xmas?

4. escondida

escondida Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is a store at Market 28 , the name is "Maxicarne", there you can buy whole legs from pork and also shoulder, and very cheap. It´s the home store from the pork fabricants in Merida.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam, "lomo" is a tenderloin roast, yes it looks like there is a long strip of fat, but it's quite thin actually.

And oh gosh, I got a real roasting pan, no rack but a real metal pan and not the aluminum foil ones. :)

6. aaamigo2203

aaamigo2203 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know there are other factors we have to consider while we're looking for meat (or anything else for that matter), but freshness is very important... don't you guys agree?

7. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, an on Isla Mujeres, the corner carniceria's could make this order in an instant. Doesn't Cancun have meat shops?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice