Leg/Shoulder of Pork

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Nov 4, 2008.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've finally started cooking roasts here in Cancun and i've got Chicken down to a fine art, well almost! However the family is demanding Pork or Lamb, Matt tells me you can get Lamb in Costco for the slightly expensive 260 pesos for a fresh non frozen leg and i have seen a frozen leg for about 200 pesos in Walmart which is a lot of money for frozen meat if you ask me, so i've decided to do a Pork roast but am having no luck in finding either a Pork shoulder or a Pork Leg which is amazing as they sell every other part of the big including the ears and snout here so someone must do it, we asked in Chedraui and Walmart and they looked at us as if we were strange and just said no we don't do it here. So if anyone knows a decent butcher where we can get a nice cut of pork, even a pork belly joint will do then please point me in the right direction. Also, anyone ever seen Goose fat here?

2. aaamigo2203

aaamigo2203 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A friend of mine could probably get you what you need.
    Soples 9981-268817
    He delivers pork and beef to restaurants in downtown and the hotel zone.
    Tell him Ruben Mancilla told you about him.
    He might not speak much English.

Buen provecho! :D

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was excited to find actual roasting pans at Soriana today!

Try Soriana, I've had good luck with their butcher. I often buy the lomo, it's a small roast but dang tasty!

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They have them at Costco and at most supers, Pierna or Espaldilla is shoulder.

5. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got a grill???? There's plenty of lamb around, and I buy the whole leg and butterfly it. Then marinade in Good Season's Italian salad dressing for a day, and cook it like a steak on the grill. You want a "mature" fire (not the hottest) because lamb is a dense meat and it takes about 45 minutes to cook....even to med-rare. So you don't want to burn the outside before the inside is done.

You can also do the same thing with pork, but pork has a much milder flavor, so be careful with your marinade, if you even use one. Most pork has plenty of fat for self-basting.

6. aaamigo2203

aaamigo2203 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Rick,

Nice pampano! :D ... or is it a palometa :?:

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The next time my hubby cooks lamb inside my house I'm throwing him out! That sh!t stinks!

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definitely you can get it at Costco. I am getting ready to cook up some "Aunt Martha's BBQ" and scouted out my sources first.

9. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    JaJaJaJa....that's a permit....or palometa as they call it here. A small one, taken from my home waters in the Florida Keys, where I was a guide and specialized in catching those great fish. Thankfully, there are a fair number of them here along the entire State of Quintana Roo, from Xcalak to Isla Blanca.

And RiverGirl...when we get set up on Isla Blanca, you and hubby are welcome to come over, and I will change your mind concerning lamb. I've heard your complaint before, but confess to not understanding it.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I very much appreciate the invitation. But nothing will ever change my mind about lamb. Sorry. I'm one step away from going back to being a vegetarian anyway. I eat only enough meat to be polite and manage in restaurants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice