Leaving to Cancun !! (first timer here)

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Corona&Lime, May 14, 2008.

1. Corona&Lime

Corona&Lime Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello All With Advise !

I will be leaving to Cancun by myself on the 4th of June and had some quick questions.

1. I wanted to find out if I can take my lil cooler to the beach with my fav cerveza ? (having bottles or cans ?)
    2. I'd like to go downtown and expeirence some of the local bars/clubs and resturaunts. Can someone send some advise/recommendations to me (mexican and seafood) ? (any type of music for the bars and clubs... maybe spanish rock... yeah)
    3. As I stated above, I'll be traveling alone so any advise on places to meet people and blend in... Thinking about the barcrawl tour ?? Advise ?

I would appreciate any advise out there . Thanks !

2. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, you can take your cooler with you. Just don't take the boom box with you and assume that the ENTIRE beach likes the same kind of music as you do. :lol:

I've not been in a year so a local could tell you the local hot spots in the downtown area. Keep in mind that "downtown" is NOT in the hotel zone, but where the locals normally go when going out for the evening.

I haven't been on the barcrawl yet, but the posts about it say that it is worth it for the money.

That being said, the locals who post in the Living in Cancun forum would be a good place to start meeting folks. As a solo traveler, I've met up with many of them on prior trips....all nice folks in my opinion. All have been willing to sort of show me around the way the locals do things.

Perhaps you could do a short intro in that forum, see who might be in Cancun while you are there that might be able to meet you downtown for a drink or two.

In any event, have a great time!!

Michelle

3. Corona&Lime

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats great to hear about the cooler !! I'm going on a much needed vacation and want to just sit there on the beach with my beer and chill !

I definitely want to take in a night of partying downtown (not in hotel zone). Probably check out a good Spanish Rock band or really any type of music. I'm not too picky....

After reading some posts on the Barcrawl I did see that they were saying it's worth the money. I don't get too much interenet time out here but did get to see that topic !:)

I'll go ahead and check out the forum for those living in Cancun and see what's going on ... I would really like some good advice on downtown partying and resturaunts.... :)

Thanks Michelle... I really appreciate the response

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Coming downtown to party is a great idea. Go to Yaxchilan Avenue, it's full of little bars and restaurants that are always busy, mostly locals but tourists go there too. For live rock, try Los Arcos for a start, they've got live bands usually starting around 10ish (though it's been a looong time since I've been out, lol, probably better folks for answering this question but I saw you've been waiting a couple of days).

5. Corona&Lime

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL ! Yeah I have been checking this everyday for reply's, no worries... I still have around 19 days or so until I get there. Los Arcos huh ? Cover charges ?? More locals than tourists ? That's great advice though ... Thanks

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well Canuck is right but she never goes out. Such a homebody. Los Arcos and El Asador are in the same building. One down, one up.

Start there and just wander around Yaxchilan. There are many bars with live bands. Spanish music but also rock and roll and classic rock in English. Not sure they understand the words but they have them memorized pretty good. They all seem to like Pink Floyd.

If you want a break and want to meet some local gringos, cross the street at Los Arcos on any Friday night and go to La Taberna. Usually the first table on the left.

Don't look for the canuck though as she won't be there. But I will be, usually after 11 pm.

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't worry about cover charges downtown. And don't worry about money. Everywhere is 2 for 1 and about $4 US per order of 2 mixed drinks and just under $4 US for an order of 2 beers.

To get downtown I suggest taking the R-1 bus from the Hotel Zone and get off after it turns right onto Av. Tulum. 2nd or 3rd stop is in front of a bright building called Palacio Municipal. Then cross the street to Burger King. Keep walking down the side street and go through the park. You will then come out on Yaxchilan. Make a right and walk about 200 yards and you see Los Arcos, after the restaurant La Parilla. If you are too drunk or too lazy, get off the bus and take a taxi for $20 pesos and tell him La Taberna. The way the taxi will take you will drop you in front of La Tab. Cross the street to Los Arcos, etc.

8. Corona&Lime

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW !! That's awesome advice. I am printing this out and following each step. La Parilla is also a place I wanted to eat at ! Now I know exactly how to get there so Thanks !! :D I will definitley check this place out !

9. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    La Parilla is a popular place downtown for tourists but I think all would agree that it is too pricy and too touristy. But it is successful.

A better place for a great meal at a bargain price, nothing fancy, just a restaurant, would be Super Carnes. It is on Coba, which is the name of the street coming from the hotel zone once you get downtown, at the corner of Palenque. $110 pesos for an Arrachera Paquete - a generous helping of this marinated and grilled beef, choice of baked potato or a grilled onion, of both for an extra $12, and a drink with a refill. Try an Agua de Jamaica, a sweet tea made with hibiscus leaves.

To get there from the HZ take the R-2 bus, which is the Walmart route. Once downtown you will pass Tulum, where there is a big grocery, Chedraui, on the far right corner. Next light is immediate, at a hospital crosswalk. Then the street curves at the next light, Yaxchilan. You can taxi back here or walk if it is not too hot to get to this downtown party street. Next light is Tankah with a gas station on the far left corner, then comes Palenque. Get off here. You will see an Elektra, which is an easy to spot yellow building with red letters. To its right you will see Blockbuster and Office Max. Super Carnes is in this plaza between Elektra and Blockbuster. Hope that you get Vernonica to wait on you. She speaks no English but is great to look at. If you are not into beef, the chicken paquete is wonderful according to my friend Trina and a bit cheaper. This is a yummy place and one of my favorites.

So it is La Parilla for a fun dinner with music, margaritas, big old burritos, etc. and for a great meal with no tourists for pennies over $10 US, plus tip of course, try Super Carnes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice