La Destileria

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by amers, Mar 15, 2009.

1. JustWandering

JustWandering Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've been there 4 times over 4 or 5 trips. The first year, it was good enough that we went twice in the same trip. Later visits were less good, and the most recent was disappointing. Food was fairly good, service average, but the mariachi's, who were drinking between songs were so loud and awful that they ruined a lot of the evening. (I'm from Texas and I know mariachis generally play a little off key, but this was really bad.) The margaritas are good and the varieties extensive, so I might go there just for that. BTW, if you can stand (or if you like) cigars, the proprietor of La Casa del Habano next door makes astonishingly good mojitos. It's a great place to cool off if you're there in the heat of the summer.

Some other restaurants mentioned in this thread aren't Mexican fare and have little in common with La Destileria. Cambalache and Puerto Madero are Argentine-style steakhouses. Much more expensive than Destileria, but also FAR better. They are our two faves in Cancun. La Habichuela, on the other hand, does feature regional cuisine and takes a gourmet approach to it. It is expensive, but very good. FYI, if you are in Cancun during a busy season, you will want to make reservations at the most popular places, including Cambalache, Puerto Madero, or La Habichuela, days in advance. They book solid (or have in years past) and you can get shut out. Hope you have fun!

2. rodman4085

rodman4085 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Using your resources

I see you picked the Pea Pod! Neat place, eh? We found it via the Mapchicks maps, and directions.....Caught the bus from the hotel zone down town to Tulum Ave......stopped just short of the bus station, crossed over and walked.....it was an adventure, and it was in the late afternoon, not yet dark, and many people were out and about....we found the city square, full of vendors, families with kids playing, a drill team practicing their routines, If you don't get into the neighborhoods just a little on a vacation, you haven't been there! Ok, Cancun is only about 30 years old, but the people living there now are what it is all about! Good to see a healthy social structure, and the gatherings that are common elsewhere in Mexico going on there! We may never be back to Cancun, but the meals at La Habechuela will be remembered! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice