Kids urged to avoid Spring Break in Mexico

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Vic

Vic Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From the devils mouth...

Hi.

Currently in AZ while driving on I10 I red on more than 1 of those electronic boards warnings to college students to NOT VISIT MEXICO on SB.

Today on AZ Republic found a similar warning however this one was from ASU & UA alerting students over the potential dangers of visiting "border towns" (both sides). Can't find anywhere on it about not visiting PV, Cancun or Ixtapa.
    They do mention Rockie Point. TJ, Nogales etc which are on states bordering the US of A.

Funny thing, since this was on the travel section, on another page of the warning there are travel agent's ads offering discounted packages to Cancun, PV, Acapulco, Riviera Maya cruises and the sort.

I did receive an email not too long ago asking what are we doing in order to safe keep our vehicles and for the security of our customers. That put me to think on what words I should choose to say "Are you kidding me?".

Thus a valid point the answer was in the line of a comparison point of visiting LA, NY, Miami as to particular places where danger of all types is imminent. Telling the truth of safety in Cancun followed (with a smile).

OK, now off to a spring training game.

Cheers.,

Vic
    --

2. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0

I totally agree with you. I'm 22 and married, so maybe I just grew up faster than most. But I was getting belittled for not going to the club every night and being drunk 24/7. I rarely drink.... although in mexico I usually drink every day. But with only 3-5 watered down drinks a day at my hotel(from 7am-2am) theres no way I can even be tipsy. I do drink more here than at home because I dont have to worry about driving anywhere and such. But To me i think it is completed idiotic to drink that much and go to a club every night. Last year we didn't go to a club at all.... same in 2005 when I went.... and we had a BLAST! This year, just to see what its like, we will probably go to a club one night.... but we are going to see isla mujeres, chichen itza, akumal and all of the other beautiful creations of God. Life is too short to try to commit suicide with alcohol poisoning! Best of luck to everyone! stay safe and out of trouble. Do do or buy drugs/prostitutes(lol) and you'll be fine! Stay sober enough for clear judgment! Have a fabulous, beautiful, safe, amazing trip! God bless you all!

3. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It did make me laugh when I heard that.

As noted, I do think that their main concern is on these bordering towns. When we lived in San Antonio, we used to visit Nuevo Laredo quite often. But you wouldn't catch me hitting it up these days. Also went to Reynosa & Matamoros quite a bit. As for Cancun, I, as well as countless others, wouldn't hesitate visiting there.

They were discussing this the other day on television and the point that I found interesting was that they were stressing that our government needed to do more to disarm the cartels. Most of the weaponry that makes its way into Mexico is coming out of the U.S.

Your reply to the email was spot on Vic. People are quick to jump to conclusions and fail to consider what environment they themselves live in. I would much rather choose to visit Cancun and walk in even the seediest of areas than I would in just about any major American city. Truth is, you would be safer there than here.

Sensationalism at it's best, I would say.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm impressed with how the US media is lumping all of Mexico into one category. If the Mexican cities that border the US are dangerous then all of Mexico must be dangerous.

Cancun is around 1400 miles from the US border area, give or take. And the area of Mexico (in square kimoeters) is approximately 1/4 of the size of the continental US. Mexico is a BIG place, a lot can happen here, but it's crazy for people to be freaking out because of something happening more than 1000 miles away.

If anyone wants more info on Mexico and it's geography the CIA World Factbook has some good basic info:
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mx.html

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I forgot to mention that the Cancun airport has been having MORE planes land during the last few weekends than ever before!

Yesterday Immigration had 182 or 183 incoming international flights to deal with, and the airport's total operations (all flights in or out including national flights) was well over 400. Similar numbers to these have been seen for the last 4 or 5 weekends (the airport is always busier on weekends).

In past years having a day where Immigration had 150 incoming international flights was considered to be an extremely busy, high season day. But now 180 flights is becoming a busy day for them.

The reality is that people are still coming here!

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  7. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's the link to the Cdn. travel report advisory - at the very top of the page in red writing it indicates "there is no official warning for this country". However, this is not what the cdn. media is portraying...

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=184000

On a side note, we too are seeing an increase in business as well.

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You know.. once upon a time I LIKED FoxNews, and even almost bought their whole "fair&balanced" slogan, but at some point they just switched to full-time democrat bashing, sensationalism, and outright lying, and at that point they stopped being a "news" source for me... sadly if your in the US, you have no idea how full of $h!t half of their stories are because thats all you know....

at least they kinda pointed out that the boarder areas were really where the violence was....

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve - I can't make sense of that link...I get a blank page from it and if I just use the part after the 2nd http I get an unrelated story...

10. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It works for me. The video is entitled "Spring Break Safety" dated 02/28/2009..."Colleges warn students about traveling to Mexico".

Do a search under Top Videos - Shows - FOX & Friends.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice