Kidnapped?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by 4NSPY, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,212 / 14
    Welcome Anita.

I think I speak for many Cancun expats when I say we can see what an injustice Free's imprisonment is, yet sadly feel a little helpless on what we can directly do to help other than to further publicise the case in forums such as this to gain more publicity and support.

It would be great if you could keep us updated (as far as you are able) on what's happening. Hopefully, justice will prevail in the end - even in Mexico.

2. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On the radio they said that Free`s lawyer was "kidnapped and threatened to leave the case". He was supposedly held for 3 days.

Havent been able to confirm all this, but IF this is true, then this is really spinning out of control....

I repeat: IF this is true.

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus, there is a news article stating that the lawyer was kidnapped. Yet another piece in a nasty puzzle.

Here's the translated article from Noticaribe.... Google Traducir

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's right, Novedades was full of news about this case, and contained an extensive interview with the lawyer for Free about what he said had happened to him (a story of abduction, and intimidation, aimed at getting him to drop the defense).

What seems consistent in the abduction of Free's mother, then the lawyer (we'll assume it happened as he said it did), is the apparent desperation of those opposed to Free's being free. Instead of the powerful and corrupt machinery of justice in Mexico being employed successfully on behalf of private interests, one theme advanced in this case, overt physical and highly public tactics have been employed- with significant risk of exposure of those behind it- to impede the workings of the legal system. Intimidation of the defense attorney is a crude, and sometimes effective tactic, but unnecessary if the system is corrupted in favor of the complainant; stopping the mother from gathering witness statements favorable to the defense, a pointless exercise, if the case is not be decided on the evidence.

The newspapers are all over this case, reporting every detail, it seems. Anita, who wrote earlier on this thread, suggested that one of Free's mother's kidnappers had been released: has anybody read or heard anything to that effect? (If it were true, it would be outrageous, and one the most truly baffling developments to date. I suspect she's mistaken, but I may have just missed the news.) Anita, have you learned any more about that?

Jim earlier suggested the accuser was motivated to drop the charges against Free if it weren't for the fact that he'd then be on the hook for his medical expenses. I can see several parties to this who would probably be relieved to pay those, and move on, if given the chance.

The foreign missions are now apparently going all out for Free's release, which is nice, but there are limits to what they can achieve. The settlement I spoke of in the previous paragraph may turn out to be the mechanism which actually gets the job done, in the end- perhaps negotiated by the diplomats, if not paid by their governments.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  6. freeFREE

freeFREE Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We haven't heard any more about the kidnappers release, but I will try and find out. It seems like these new kidnappers might be a little more powerful. I found out about the kidnapping of the lawyer the other day, explains why I couldn't reach him on the phone. We are all very shaken up but glad he is okay. Some people have theories on the kidnapping, but don't want to listen to them. I just want to get Free out.

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks, Anita, for helping to keep us informed. We'll hope that Free's attorney is the type who, the more you threaten him, the more determined to persist, and win, he becomes.

8. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's situations like this that scare me about living in Mexico, and raising a family.... All of the other things I could care less about, but without a proper judicial system this could happen to anyone.

Good luck Anita!

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info Anita.

A LOT of stuff is surfacing in the media now, not only here in Mex, but also back home in Europe.

The Swedish news reports of issues with the Procuraduria regarding 3 Swedish citizens who were beaten and robbed in July 2009.

In the case, he was quoted "Dont worry, these are only robitos(= small robberies)"

The good thing: With the leverage of Free`s case, the Swedish Ambassador in DF has been approached by the foreign ministry to "investigate and push on the unsolved case of the 3 Swedes".

The bad side: This is all over the press back home, and several travel-agents are requesting answers.

People who have been interested in buying apartments in the new buildings that are popping up everywhere have also become hesitant, according the sales reps back home.

This is becoming a mess way bigger than anyone could have ever imagined.

Lets hope it all gets straightened out soon, although the way the Mexican justice system is "working", this could take quite a while.... It has already actually.

10. freeFREE

freeFREE Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am glad it is bringing attention around the world, especially when it is sparking interest in other cases too. I know we need to find a way to prove that this case is causing people to think twice about Cancun. Right now I have seen some reports that it isn't influencing tourism in Cancun. I don't want to ruin Cancun at all, but if we can show that is effecting tourism, hopefully we can stop this now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice