Kidnapped?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by 4NSPY, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,206 / 14
    Anybody heard any developments on this lately?

And, just because we can now, here's the youtube video of the incident.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BTW Thanks Steve! I love the new Board!!

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Novedades yesterday predicted that Free would be freed on Christmas Eve. There was said to be a hearing that was to take place this afternoon in which both videos which were recovered from security cameras in the area where the alleged assault took place would be reviewed.

The defense has presented two witness statements which support Free's claim he was the victim, rather than the perpetrator, in this case, but the videos are apparently more persuasive. The defense has also filed a written complaint about the supposed disappearance of documents helpful to the defense.

[I'm supposing the proceedings they are speaking of are still part of the investigative phase, and the judge is acting in his capacity to collect evidence enough to decide whether to formally charge Free in the case.]

The hearing this afternoon was said not to be the trial of the case, and it was not expected the judge would declare Free "not guilty," even if the videos appear to exonerate him; rather, he is to be released on what would be bail, in the common law system, as I understand it this stage of the proceedings. (The paper spoke of Free's "recurso".) Still, it's better than sitting in jail, waiting for the case to progress to trial, which could still be a long time coming....

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope him and his family puts some REAL pressure on the Mexican authorities after this.

This has been poorly handled and the guy(Free) has been held in custody for way to long to be normal, whilst the other participant has been out and about(??)

So some important papers have "gone missing" as well..? Figures.

I also hope they will find the connection between the kidnapping of his mother and the once involved in this mess...

Too much to just be a coincidence if you ask me.

The saddest part? All of Cancun and its workers will suffer from yet another negative piece of news...

5. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,206 / 14
    Interesting note at the end of the article.

If it turns out that the charges are reversed then the medical expenses of $500,000 already paid out by the insurance company will be reclaimed, since coverage is only valid for victims not perpetrators. Perhaps that's why they're trying so hard to make the current charges stick.

7. astrolis

astrolis Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FreeingFree and his release

Hi,Just want to say loads of thanks to people who are talking about what has happened to Free Bronkhurst.We are supporting him from wherever we can.There is a Facebook site called Free Bronkhurst please support and the website is Freeingfree.net.Does anyone know the outcome of the court hearing yesterday? Happy Christmas to all you lovely people in Cancun.It seems thta Free has bumped into some bad people ,from afar it sounds like corruption.Very dangerous.Arent people scared.What did he do to get trown in jail for 2 months and even thoughtthey are admitting they were wrong they wont let him out.Keep this discussion going until he is freed.

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Perhaps you've read by now, Free was not released on Christmas Eve, after all.

Free had apparently requested the hearing on the 24th to challenge the charges laid against him, and to complain about the evidence which had gone missing in the case. The judge was not persuaded by the evidence his lawyers and mother had collected and prepared- which tended to exonerate him- and ordered him returned to his cell, rather than released.

It turns out that the word "recurso" to which I referred earlier does not mean resources, when used in legal proceedings (and could not have referred to bail, as I'd thought); instead, it means "challenge".

9. astrolis

astrolis Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What do you think is going on in Cancun about Free.Does anyone have any idea how we can get him released.Are there any local people who understand the system that could help?

10. ElTiburon

ElTiburon Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone. I just got back from the jail in Cancun where free is being held. I was in jail like Free for a small crime that was blown completely out of proportion. There's no real reason Free should be in jail other than to satisfy someone's ego.
    Please email me with contact information about Free, his girlfriend or his mother so we can all work together to get this young man set free.

Rich Crook
    richcrook@yahoo.com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice