Kidnapped?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by 4NSPY, Dec 10, 2009.

1. th@bvg

th@bvg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How did he end up in jail? It did not look like anyone got hurt in the fight. I looks like he was leaving after the fight was over. There weren't any police on the video? Did he live in cancun?

3. pocodinero

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The particular brand of horrific crime that we get in this mafia drug war thing here is awful (kidnappings, torture and beheadings).

Does this type of crime happen often ib Cancun? I know it happens in other areas of Mexico, but I haven't heard about it in Cancun.

4. th@bvg

th@bvg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have a bit of thread drift here - probably my fault.

OP is about the mother of Free Bronkhurst who was the visctim of a brief kidnapping. Free Bronkhurst is a Dutch guy who has been in prison for two months allegedly after being the victim of an unprovoked assault. The mother has been kicking up stink and found herself bundled into a car in broad daylight the other day. The inference is that the two are connected - it is just too much of a co-incidence.

I let the thread drift by referring an Englisg guy who also was imprisoned after a bar fight, missed his wedding and his family were paying out "protection money" to prevent him getting beaten in prison.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The interview with Free, today, in Novedades made interesting reading. He said he was being treated well in jail, as I understood him. However, you have to take a statement like that with a grain of salt, I think, not knowing whether he means it, or is afraid to say otherwise.

th@bvg, we experience way more drift than that on plenty of these threads! Don't worry about it: anybody reading this thread with any care will easily be able to keep the parties, and stories (just three, so far!, straight).

By the way, th@bvg, you posed an answer to my question, earlier, when you said you thought it might have been lucrative for some people to keep Free in jail, awhile; and, that it might have occurred to them to up the ante by kidnapping the mother. But, although I enjoy speculation as much as the next guy, perhaps some others will have more concrete information in answer to my question-

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is pure speculation, but I'd expect it had to do something with the mother attracting attention to certain people that don't want the spotlight on them. When those people gave the order to snatch her they probably didn't expect it to get so much attention or to fail.. had the kidnapping succeed, I expect that she would have been found "accidentally" drown or overdosed shortly there after. Thank God that she survived, and hopefully the national government will take notice and step in to put a stop to this craziness before the areas reputation is completely destroyed. This sort of injustice happens all the time in Mexico, its not until a foreigner is involved that it gets noticed.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's happening more and more in Cancun. Just read the papers, it's everywhere. Some woman was beheaded here a week or so ago. They put her head on her chest and pinned a note to it. The note was a warning to anyone who might think of turning in the bad guys..."this is what will happen to you if you report us" kind of thing. Gruesome.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    SYNOPSIS

[For anybody needing a refresher, at this point, the main parties under discussion on this thread (begging the pardon of those beheaded, assassinated, tortured, etc., to which reference has been made, from time to time, on this thread) are, 1) Free (man's name)- charged with assault, and now being held in a Cancun jail, awaiting further proceedings in his case: accuser is a brother of a local politician, making the case far more interesting to the press, and us; 2) Free's mom, from whose misfortune this thread derived its name, kidnapped by four thugs, in two cars: rescued by local police in dramatic fashion following a phoned in tip by an observer of the abduction- and after a high speed chase involving multiple police units, which led to the crash of each of the fleeing vehicles, in turn- all on the same day, with just a few minutes having elapsed, in total. It was said she may have, a) possibly "agitated someone," by agitating for her son's release; alternatively, as it was also said, b) after giving thought, those same thugs and their jailhouse associates decided she would be a good target for kidnapping/ransom, or other demands. (There may be other theories, as well: these are the only ones offered, thus far, that I've seen.) Lastly, we have, 3) a man from England, Gavin Toner, introduced to us by th@bvg, who was apparently arrested and charged with "murder" (although the worst injury spoken of in news reports of the incident was a cut eye), after being involved in a bar room brawl back in 2008, shortly before he was to marry in Cancun, and a possible victim of extortion while being held in Cancun jail. (As to this last case, we're awaiting further details from th@bvg, though it's clear Gavin was released, after possible involvement of the British Foreign Service, as he's now once again living in the U.K.)]

9. pocodinero

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wha part of Cancun did this attempted kidnapping occur? How long was the lady in Cancun before it happened?

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    1) Av. Yaxchilan, 2) a short time, as I understand it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice