Kidnapped?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by 4NSPY, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hate to break it to you, but all of those things happen here. They just get lost among the more sensational drug violence headlines.

Parents beat and kill their children here.. the difference is they can more easily hide the crime, as police dont investigate like they do in the US.

Perhaps no "snipers" per say, but plenty of targeted "hits" are taking place almost daily.

The school violence here tend to involve knifes more than guns simply because they are harder to get a hold of, so we don't have the spectacular "24/7 wall to wall coverage" shootings.

Don't misunderstand, I totally agree with your point that the US media makes Mexico (and Cancun) out to be a war zone, while seemingly ignoring the everyday violence that occurs closer to home. But the increase in violent crime over the last few years here is what makes it newsworthy, and having "1st world" foreigners get tangled up in it, just begs for international attention. It infuriates me when I read the papers here, as I just don't understand why the people don't just say "ENOUGH!", but at the same time, I realize that most people in Mexico have grown up with the corruption and injustice, and are more focused on putting food on their own tables than trying to change the (their) world. Every place has its problems. God knows the US is a mess in many ways, but at least you don't have to be too worried about being extorted by officials on a daily basis or having those same officials kidnap or murder you. Much of the blame for Mexico's current increase in violence can be put squarely on the insatiable appetite for drugs in the US. So until the US either legalizes drugs or changes the social climate enough that people don't feel the need to be doped up all the time, I don't see things improving anytime soon.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    In spite of all this, or perhaps more so, because of all this I think we should acknowledge what appears to have been the prompt and courageous action of local law enforcement to intercept the kidnappers- and rescue the victim- when they received the tip about what had just gone down.

This interception involved not only inter-agency cooperation, but a dispatcher who took the report as genuine, requiring a response; and, a chain of command that included no hesitant nor indifferent elements, right down to the men riding guard that day and hour.

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree.. its just really a shame that its the exception to the rule when the police can be commended.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wonder if she was targeted because of something her son had done that did not sit well with the Zetas. I did not read the article.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,206 / 14
    You need to read it TJ :wink:

Long story short:
    Dutch guy was attacked by a couple of guys outside a club, during the attack he defended himself and one of the assailiants fell and hit his head severely. This is all captured on CCTV and clearly shows the Dutch guy being the victim and trying to avoid the fight.

Turns out the injured guy's brother is a high up politician in the Green Party, Dutch guy gets arrested and held in prison for assault. His Mum comes over from Holland to help secure his release, gets threatened to keep out of it and eventually gets kidnapped.

6. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  7. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Surprise surprise when a Mexican politician is involved... unfortunately :(

Now his name is in the dirt since the woman got freed - lets hope they have balls enough to prosecute the son AND the corrupt dad!

Cant believe they put all the details in the newspaper like that! The Dutch lady becomes a easy target when posting all her details.

Retarded.

Will be interesting nonetheless to see how far this will go.

And also who else might be involved in tampering with the police report...

This will no doubt hurt the European market (like someone already mentioned) - well done idiots :evil:

Ps. That looks like its outside Barezzito (spelling?)

8. th@bvg

th@bvg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nothing like a bit of irony is there...............

Cancun is a safe place, we all agree. The biggest threat to your well being and safety is not from the wonderfully hospitable regular Mexicans but from "law enforcement" (sic.), politicians and officialdom.

Just how wrong is that?

There is a couple from Manchester in England who had their wedding ruined last year when groom & best man where detained after a bar incident and "vast amounts"? were paid in protection but to no avail. I will search out the link but this couple are now making it their mission in life to damage inbound tourism to Cancun as a result of their experience. It sounds like the Bronkhurst case (son and mother) will make some even bigger waves.

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It looks like the press is interested in the corruption angle, but I don't know if this situation actually involved anything that could reasonably be called corruption. It may have simply been- as often happens in assault cases- an instance of filing the first report of the incident with the police, thereby getting to shape the story as you would like it. The police in many countries, including the U.S., will simply make an arrest when they get a complaint of an assault, relying on the courts to "sort it out later" as to what really happened (often not easy).

This kind of thing (filing a first, perhaps false report) occurs most often when the aggressor didn't like the ultimate outcome of his aggression- as when he attacked, but ended up taking a beating. Filing a false police report allows him to have another shot at his intended victim.

Having a "connection" may have made the aggressor feel more bold and more comfortable with taking the risk of lying to the police, a crime seldom prosecuted, anywhere, unless the evidence of the lie is overwhelming- as it may turn out to be in this case, as a result of the video. I doubt that he, or his brother (if he consulted him, beforehand), considered that possibility, when he filed his complaint.

10. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My bad! Somehow I managed to read "father" :shock:

Meant the corrupt brother of course.

@V: IF this is what it looks like(tampering with police reports etc) then I label it corruption, considering the whole kidnapping setup with the politicians name mentioned etc. I clarify: IF :)

I cant wait to see what happens next...

One thing is quite clear(I hope): They made a BAD move grabbing this lady and throwing and innocent man in jail... lets hope they pay for it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice