Kidnapped?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by 4NSPY, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    300,000 in lost wages?
    It happened in October so at best he's been off work for 4 months. I'd like to know what kind of job in Cancun pays a twentysomething 75,000 pesos a month.

Anyone know what this guy actually did for a job? 'Cos if there's a vacancy I'm sure there would be no shortage of applicants.

2. astrolis

astrolis Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Quote "The Ferrats want 800,000 MXN pesos to pay for Ivan's medical bills (500,000) and lost wages (300,000). They said that Free would be released if we paid. The procurador knows and made a verbal acknowledgement of agreement. So basically the Ferrats are holding Free in jail on ransom. We don't want to pay them, but we cannot put a price on Free's life. So, we have begun the fundraising and are trying to get together the money as fast as we can as Free's mother meets with the Ferrats again to try and negotiate the price down. "

That sounds like state supported kidnapping to me.I watched a programme last night about the Mexican drug Cartels and it is hair raising what is going on in Mexico.Lets hope that Free gets out safely.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    What it is is an alternative to having to stand trial, and risk a long prison sentence.

4. astrolis

astrolis Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancuncare guru -you have a very positive take on what I see as corruption and an un due influence from politicians and ex-police chiefs on the law.Yesterday a chief of police in the UK was imprisoned for 4 years for doing precisely what these 2 guys have done to Free.One of my questions would be ,where is the other guy who was with Ivan Ferrat ,he seems to have dissapeared.Maybe he has some evidence.Or perhaps he will appear to pick up his payout!

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Those factors are/may be at play, here, but the case is not just about that.
    I'm sure there are people who would like to know.

A surprising amount of detail about this case has appeared in the media, and on the internet, with the press keenly interested because of the connection to local political figures, and with both sides wanting to put out information favorable to their version of the case. While knowing a lot, there is much we don't know, but wringing our hands about possible corruption or political influence ignores many of the hard realities of the case- a case that may not go away, easily.

I fully understand everyone's frustration with the long process, and wish this case had a simple solution, but none seems to be forthcoming, at the moment. We may be hearing/reading about this tragedy for the young men involved a long time from now, if the case ultimately progresses to trial.

For those who might be interested, Anita has pointed out that it's possible to visit Free in jail. It may also be possible to attend the hearings scheduled in April.

Anita has also mentioned that there are other foreigners being held in Cancun's jail. Any one of them might appreciate a visit, and there may be small necessities that they could use, for those inclined to assist.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone heard anything lately..?

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That was my opinion at the time, and nothing has happened to change it, so far. Anita fleshed out the details for us, on this forum.

There are hearings scheduled in the case, mostly involving procedural issues. If there are those who would like to go as court observers, and the matters are scheduled for open court, I could try to get dates, times and location. Those who've done court observing know that court schedules fall apart, it being impossible to predict how long things on the calendar will take, and you never know when things will actually start- just that it won't start before the scheduled time; so, come prepared for some down time, if you decide to give it a try.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  8. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Noticed the Novidades had a mention of the Free case today. Anyone care to translate? I would but know my translation could give a false story.

9. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't see anything today about it in Novedades but the last few days it has basically been about the breakdown in talks between the 2 families. What happened was that the "Family" was ready to drop the charges just to get things out of the news since there was a lot of pressure from all sides and international protests.

BUT the Family's insurance company said, "Well, if Free isn't guilty then you must be so we want the money back that we paid for your hospital and medical bills."

That's when the Family decided to negotiate with Free's mother to see if they could get the money from her. That is all I know or have heard lately.

10. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is the link from today's paper: Exigen los Ferrat fuerte suma por libertad de Free - Grupo SIPSE, sipse.com

Basically it says the same, that not only did the Family want the medical bills paid (which Free's mother accepted) but they wanted compensation for the future--something that she didn't understand.

The comments in general after the article are also quite interesting. The Family isn't making any friends with their position. But I doubt that they care.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice