Kidnapped?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by 4NSPY, Dec 10, 2009.

1. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone know who the 40 year old foreigner woman was who was kidnapped on Yaxchilan yesterday?

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Great job on the press identifying the name, age and occupation of the witness who called the cops to the kidnapping. No wonder most people look the other way.

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought that was strange too. Sometimes no info and other times too much!
    It is like now they want us to register our cell phone numbers publicly "for our security." As if we don't already get enough unwanted calls, now the phone extortion people can buy lists!! LOL

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I started to write about how disgusting an event like this is and how the political influence/corruption/crimes destroy Mexico bit by bit, but I wont... :flogging:

Sufficed to say, if anything happens to the the kid in jail or the mother, you can kiss any European tourism to the area goodbye.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a creepy call this morning which made me sit up and take notice. Someone called, asked for my husband by name, when I casually said he's not here the guy just hung up. Then I actually looked at the caller ID (a little late) and it said the number was Privada. Now I feel stupid, I just told someone that I'm alone in the house.

But our guard is on duty and so are the dogs and my big beefy neighbor who adores me is home, so I'm not really worried. I just feel stupid for being so open, especially when we've received threats several times in the past here. Color me naive. I'm still a small town girl I guess, I don't get used to this hustler's town stuff.

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kim,

Something I learned early on was to always ask "Quien habla?". Usually always they'll ask you the same question back. To which I reply, "TU me llamaste!!!!". If they don't begin to explain, I just say "entonces, numero equivodcado!" and hang up.

The thing I can't stand is when some stranger phones me and demands that I provide them with info. Screw that!

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh I know better, thing I was distracted making a latte and picked up the phone absently. Stupid. I don't like having to think about these things all the time...it's more peaceful to just pick up the phone and be amenable.

9. th@bvg

th@bvg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This stuff makes me feel physically sick.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The particular brand of horrific crime that we get in this mafia drug war thing here is awful (kidnappings, torture and beheadings).

But when I read the news in the States I see parents killing their kids and then themselves (doesn't happen in Mexico). And freeway snipers (doesn't happen in Mexico). And school shootings (doesn't happen in Mexico).

I think it's common for Americans to look at crime in Mexico and freak out, meanwhile some guy down the block from them in the US just offed his family and blew his brains out.

Every place has it's own brand of horrific crime. All of it is bad. All of it should make us sick. But we become accustomed to certain kinds of crimes being common and we become numb to them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice