just got to cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by meng, Jun 13, 2008.

1. meng

meng Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey guys...I'm new to the board and new to Cancun....gonna be living here for a few weeks and am alone unfortunately....gotta find my own way around.....I'm a 35 year old Cuban-Argentinian dude from Miami and would like just some tips on what to do....especially on a Friday night like tonight....

I have plans to go to the beach for sure and to the Mayan ruins...I just got here yesterday and I'm currently just stuck at the house I'm living in wondering what to do....I know I can just take a cab to the hotel area but any direction or tips would be appreciated....thanks

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome fellow Floridian.

Every Friday lots of ex pats hang out at La Taberna on Yaxchilan. Big corner table inside the door. Look left before you get all the way inside. English is the primary language spoken but spanish too. Scott is usually the first one there, around 7 pm and people come and go till well after midnight.

I would not take a cab to the Hotel Zone. It's about $50 Mxn and you can take the bus for $6.5. If you can't easily get from your house to an R-1 or R-2 or R-15 route, take a cab to Tulum for $20 and then catch the bus.

Most new residents, in my opinion, at first think the Hotel Zone is the place to be. But it takes time and money to get there and prices are crazy. Downtown, Yaxchilan is the primary area. At La Taberna drinks are always 2x1 and a mixed drink is $42 per round of 2 drinks. Not bad at all.

Across the street is Los Arcos and El Asador, both hopping places.

Across from Walmart, upstairs in the Hong Kong plaza is Sabor Latino if you are a dancing fool. Better to go with others and then mingle around, than to go in and work the room alone.

These are good suggestions to start.

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just wanted to say welcome, T.J. hit the main points to get your started, lots of good info from him.

So, Hola y bienvenida. :)

4. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found out today the Friday night group might change locations. The new law in Cancun is no smoking in enclosed places and Lataberna is enclosed. Doug (The owner) is obiviously upset. but hell man, welcome to Cancun and LaTaberna is a great place.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Is the new smoking law in already? I never go out so I wouldn't know.

Oops just remembered I am a non smoker now so it doesnt really matter anyway :)

And welcome to Cancuncare Meng

6. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone have info on this new law?

and Steve, congrats!!!! [​IMG]

7. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Steve is that true ? a new non smoking version :shock:
    Tracey

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yes, I'm up to 2 months now :)

9. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good for you Steve. Congrats!

10. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats, Steve! Keep up the good work!

Cold turkey?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice