Just Arrived

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by chefcgarcia, Mar 3, 2013.

1. chefcgarcia

chefcgarcia Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everybody!

After a couple of months of visa paperwork and waiting for migraciones to do their thing, I've arrived in Cancún! (Well, I've been here a week, to be honest, but I'm already busy at work).

I haven't had much free time to look for an apartment, but I did find two that I want to see again. One is downtown, really close to El Ceviche, and the other one seemed farther away (or at least it seemed to take longer to get there, maybe because they were also busy showing me supermarkets and stuff like that). It is on something called La Ceiba. I just now found out that's somewhere called SM 38.

I am uncertain if any of those locations are good (the rent prices seem ok). For the one near the Ceviche I'm concerned that the area may not be too safe (or too noisy), and for the one at La Ceiba, I'm thinking that transportation to the Zone Hotelera (where I work) may be a problem. Can anybody guide me, please? You can say I'm lost in Cancún :)

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Near the Ceviche is about as safe as it gets in the city. We lived just behind Home Depot for awhile, and it was quiet enough, and very convenient to bus transportation to the hotel zone. La Ceiba would not be as convenient, nor as safe.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,206 / 14
    Welcome to Cancun!

I think I recall you saying you will be working in the Hotel Zone? In which case a place by Cerviche would be very convenient. As V mentions, pretty safe too.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,206 / 14
    I guess you mean Office Depot?

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yes, exactly right, Steve. We lived behind Office Depot, which is near the Ceviche and the entrance to the Hotel Zone: Home Depot is near neither, and would have far less convenient access to the Hotel Zone.

You could get from Office Depot to KM 12.5 in 25 minutes by bus, whereas it could take an hour to make the same journey from Home Depot.

6. chefcgarcia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the replies!

I am leaning towards the Ceviche place. It does seem more convenient. It's not overly expensive (although I haven't got much to compare it to), but it did seem to not offer a lot for the price, as it's just a studio-like one bedroom with not much else going on (it is new-ish and clean, though). That was the only reason I was looking for something a bit farther away. For around 45% more I was getting a two bedroom place, with fully equipped kitchen and a washer.

I did take the bus yesterday (my day off) to see if I could make sense of the city. I couldn't. The bus (Ruta 2) did not follow my expected trajectory and I got lost. Well, not lost, as I had a map, but I didn't get to where I was trying to go to. And it did take a little under an hour to reach where Coba meets Kabah.

BTW, is there specific bus stops, or you can wave at the buses anywhere and they will pick you up (as is normal in many latin american countries)?

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    45% of what?

Be a little more specific about the monthly rents being charged on places you've looked at and some readers will have experience enough with prices around here to tell you whether you've got a deal, or to keep looking, on any specific location in town.

8. chefcgarcia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well to be specific, the one at El Ceviche costs $5.500, and the one at La Ceiba is $7.500. They are both furnished. So, that's $2.000 more pesos. Maybe it's not 45%. It's probably closer to 40% more for the one at La Ceiba.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    For the 7,500 peso figure, some people may think you'll be able to find a two bedroom, furnished place, a short walk from the Ceviche.

What else have you found in that area, aside from the furnished studio for 5,500? (I'm thinking of a condo complex which is painted a kind of peach color with several apts for rent: these are all two bedrooms, most of them offered fully furnished.)

For centro, Rawkus seems to have some other leads on lower cost, but nice places near the center of the city.

10. chefcgarcia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The studio I'm looking at is, I think, precisely in that peach colored building. I talked to the owner and he said he only had that one available. I would totally look for something else, but I haven't had much luck so far :banghead:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice