Job Opening - Cancun, MX

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by scott1981, Nov 9, 2012.

1. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hear you Gringation, but if it's any consolation, the situation is similar in the U.S. right now! An example: I saw a job posting that required a Bachelor's degree, 3 years of intensive experience (can't remember exactly for what, I was too floored by the pay), and fully bilingual. Paying $10 an hour. In New England, with the highest cost of living in the country.

I know this is off-topic, but just thinking about it makes me itchy!

It does seem that they are relaxing some of the requirements, which would definitely make it more accessible...and who knows, sometimes attractive local salaries can actually be, well, attractive. II certainly wouldn't expect them to pay market rate for a similar position in Canada or the US!

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    gbchayctca: Always the voice of reason! :) You're very right. I forget how bad the situation can be north of the border because I've never had to search for a real job there.

If the requirements become more flexible, this could be a good opportunity for somebody here.

3. TNCJ1

TNCJ1 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    other than the required working for Amazon and fluent in Spanish part im ready to sign up lol.

4. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gringation: I definitely wasn't trying to diminish the experience qualified folks have in Mexico, as I know just how real that struggle is! I was just whining a little. :)

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yes, I agree that there are people who post to this website who could perform this job well. The OP knows what he is looking for in terms of skills, perhaps its the background/previous experience requirements that need to be relaxed, just a little; or, he thought there would be those who would apply, nevertheless, and this would give him negotiating room on the pay.

The job itself, while not appealing to me, seems a winner if the pay is right. It sounds like an important interface for big business with the credit providers, and sufficiently demanding to justify a good salary, if there is a high volume of work.

People new to this area may not be familiar with just how much expats in responsible jobs are paid: I've known two, one who worked as supervisor in a major online travel agency, and the other the head of marketing for a very large hotel in the HZ: both were paid salaries that would be appealing to many living in the U.S. Though perhaps not what they would have been paid in equivalent jobs in the U.S. they both have a very comfortable lifestyle here- and an ability to have new cars, own their own homes, etc., just as middle class Mexicans do.

6. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome back, Rivergirl? (with a NEW NAME)? I, for one, always liked you, and have missed you. But Steve won't tolerate your hissy-fits, you know that! ....lmfao (the duet, of course, not the profanity).

7. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are you drunk or just really, really confused?

8. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Uh, no!

And, uh, I'm tempted to say something equally as snarky in reply, but:

A) since it's about rudeness and you're rude, it's great irony, congrats; and/or B) I won't stoop to your level.

9. Jojo306

Jojo306 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, now do you understand why I feel the way I feel about this site? I think instead of encouraging it, maybe as a moderator, there might be something you can do about the negativity. Please take what I have said as constructive and not as a form of negativity.

10. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Steve does not encourage any such thing, in my experience, but he does allow a wide latitude for responses and comments which, as I perceive his motives, is a matter of principle- that of free expression.

(I took Davie's comment as an attempt at humor, a thing harder to achieve in print than in person. Kathy's comment may, for that matter, have been meant in the same vein, though it was a little harsher in tone, perhaps.)

When people begin going off on the tone of others' posts they are no longer "on topic" in that they have ceased to respond to the ideas or contents of the messages posted, just as you did, on this thread, which contained a very interesting job posting, and useful comments.

Getting focused on the tone of a post distracts from the progression of ideas which might otherwise occur, and end with people responding to those who are responding to the tone, just as I'm doing now.

Those who are too sensitive should probably stay off most forums, or exercise enough discipline to stick to the topic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice