Jerk Oxxo Clerks and Their Refusal to Honor Telcel Promo

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by BruceWedding, Jan 24, 2012.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Then Im confused.

The only Telcel questions I have ever gotten are "would you like a recarga?".

Its never been pushy at all. Usually, my answer is "nope, not today", but sometimes them asking, has reminded me that my cred is running out.

Regarding the Oxxo workers: "Poor people with crappy pay" is EXACTLY what the Dragon lady in Immigration b*tched and whined about to me when I refused to give her cash under the table...

I would never jump on the chance to grab the cash that this Telcel(Telmex?)/Oxxo policy allows me to do, but if its the same question as "would like a recarca?" then we have completely different idea of "pushy", hehe :)

If the workers know the rules, be they rich, poor, young or old, well - follow them and crap wont happen.

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got to agree with Rawkus on this one.

Call center workers, secretaries, store workers, whoever, have to answer the phone in a certain way, chain restaurant workers have to greet you in a certain way etc. etc. Standard operating procedures are what makes consistency of the product.

Damn, an OXXO worker only has to ring you up and remember to say "quieres una recarga" they should be able to do that!

Extra is the way forward - they sell Pacifico :daveandmo:

3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the problem here lies more with the policy itself, not with a "pushy" cashier or a "bad guy" customer who may not even know what's going on.

During my years as a waitress, if I'd been charged most of my day's tips for every small mistake I made, I'd have ended up worse than broke! (and I was a damn good waitress)

We're all human, and it seems mean for Oxxo to prey on its own worker salaries to push a promotion.

No wonder Oxxo employees seem so bitter...

4. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And give you 10-1 on the dollar while Oxxo gives something close to market, today $12.70. I'm not going to pay a 27% premium on everything I buy.

5. BruceWedding

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for recognizing that it's Oxxo and not me that is preying on someone.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Pesos! Your always going to lose out using Dollars - local or tourist alike.

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Same here Rawkus.

You'll notice I didn't say the clerks were being pushy; I said the act was "pushing a product...."

I can't believe this practice will be effective to sell more air time, and will be dropped soon anyway, for which I'll be grateful.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  8. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really dont see what the fuss is about.

I mean, its 3 words, right? "Quiere una recarga?" Im sure they can manage to squeeze that in between "es todo?" and "XXX pesos, por favor".

Ps. I still wouldnt jump on the chance if/when they fail to offer me credit, but I also dont understand the entire "I feel sorry for them"...

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    OK, it's a personal thing: I wouldn't DREAM of taking 100 pesos from somebody who only earns 160 pesos per 8 hour shift.

10. BruceWedding

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are not "taking" it from them. Why do you feel responsibility for their job performance?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice