Isla Mujeres

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by sbabb, Mar 6, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Plenty of those there, too, and the sun sets around 7 PM, local time, as I recall.

At that same hour, cruise ships can be seen in the distance, plying their way north, with Florida their destination, having set sail from Cozumel.

It adds to the pleasure of being at Isla, sitting on the Malecon, gazing out on the Western Carribbean at the close of day, glass of wine in hand.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. rodman4085

rodman4085 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Google "Mapchick", do yoursef a favor, and order one of her Isla Mujeres maps....great pocket tourguide....or buy them all! Cancun, Riv Maya, PDC, Coz, etc....:aktion033::aktion033:

3. haggis & neeps

haggis & neeps Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well!!!! I have taken your advice and ordered the isla mujeres map today.

4. haggis & neeps

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fantastic Service

just received my isla mujeres travel guide and an additional added supplement detailing downtown restaraunts bars etc a fantastic bargain for 10$ usa.

I just ordered it on Friday and considering we were heading in to the weekend and it was coming across the pond to Scotland they have arrived this morning 4 days from order to delivery is a fantastic service.
    as has already been said this is a must have pocket guide for anyone visiting the place.

this is not just a pocket guide it is also a bible and almanac go for it.
    a big thank you to can-do maps & guides Polk City Iowa.:clappyinghappy:
    cheers guys.

5. mainiacgirl

mainiacgirl Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    go to cancuntom.com and check out his pictures and blogs about Isla great pictures and info.

6. haggis & neeps

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    was sent toms link by barnstyke fantastic info & pics from him seems to me that steve the owner of the forum & cacuntom seem to do more for tourism than the full mexican tourist industry so well done guys:xyxthumbs:

7. TomT

TomT Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I live on Isla. These days golf carts run about $550 pesos/day. It'll be slow in May, so you might be able to haggle a bit, especially if you walk further into town and skip the guys right by the ferry. A bit expensive, but a fun way to spend the day...scoot around from place to place. And when you're driving around on the Caribbean side, you get some amazing views once you hit mid-island. You could also hire a cab; I forgot what the hourly rate is...180 pesos/hr.

This island is home to some of the best meals I've ever eaten. There's very little that's commercialized here. If you like fresh fish, any of the "cocktelarias" along the beach are good...have a cold Sol, bury your toes in the sand and watch the sunset while you eat an amazingly fresh meal. Bally-Hoo, on the dock behind the gas station has great fish tacos. I also like Picus and Velasquez. Most have excellent ceviche.

The "local" food here is a mix of Mexican and Mayan. Plenty of great places in town: La Lomita, El Poc Chuc, all the stands by the Municipal Market, Fredy's...outside of El Centro: Dasy & Raul's (now across from La Gloria English School) and La Bruja further out. But even what's not local is good...Belgian, French, Italian, Spanish, Cuban, Caribbean fusion and a few others.

It's hard to find a bad meal here. People take a lot of pride in their cooking.

And Playa Norte is a great beach...a couple of the beach clubs will give you free chairs and umbrellas if you buy food and drinks; others cost. Zamas Beach Club on the Sac Bajo peninsula is also worth a visit.

I also agree with Tori...there's not much to the south point. The ruin has been ruined by hurricanes and the sculpture park looks totally out of place. It's actually one of the more commercial areas on the island. Much more fun to walk through town.

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    South Point

In spite of all that, regarding south point, it still has its attractions. It is the only place on the island I know with cliffs from which you can look down on the water.

There is a nice trail running along a significant portion of the cliff heading towards south point and, once there, developed walkways taking you down the face, and nearer the water, for a better look.

Nothing more beautiful than that Caribbean Sea churning and crashing as its waves pound the cliffs, and the rocks below.

9. xoie's omah

xoie's omah Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree about walking the cliffs at the sculpture park. We had some not quite warm enough for the beach days when we were on Isla in January and decided to hit the sculpture park and walk the trails. The views you get are spectacular, there is a cave you can walk into and come up further up the cliff, and just sitting listening to the surf crash made it worth the 30 pesos. We also went to the turtle farm (figured it was worth the price of admission to support the cause), drove further down the road to see the floating island house made of recyclable plastic bottles, stopped at a couple little road side bars and walked the sea walk on the Caribbean side of the island.

10. haggis & neeps

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    floating island house ? I thought that was destroyed by a hurricane a few years ago. has it been redone.
    also another question I have heard about a shell house on the island but it is private what exactly is it and is it worth putting on my photos worth taking list
    thanx again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice