Isla Mujeres trip

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ChrisnCancun, Dec 29, 2008.

1. ChrisnCancun

ChrisnCancun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife and I are going to Cancun in april and one of the things we wanted to do was go to isla mujeres. I have seen all the tour packages for the island tour and they look great but I feel like I want to do something a little more freestyle.
    So I found that there is a ferry (in Puerto Juarez) that goes to the island every 30 minutes and the cost is 35 pesos each way per person. I figure if I do this I can go when I want and leave when I want. Also when we are on the island we will be able to go where we want and not be constrained by a schedule.

My question is does this sound like a good idea or have I overlooked something? I have never been to Cancun so all my planning has been from info I have gotten from the net. :shock:
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    About the only thing you forgot is to rent a golf cart when you get there for getting around. :D

Seriously... your plan is what lots of folks do and have a wonderful time. Be sure to check out some of the seemingly small places along the way. They have the best food and atmosphere.

Others may come along and add their favorite places to stop and check out while you are there.

Jamie

3. ChrisnCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds great and thanks for the reply, BTW how much are the golf carts?

4. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    I can't remember off the top of my head but they are not a budget breaker.... Someone will know....

Jamie

5. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I paid 50 US for a cart for the day. You have to have them back by 5:00 pm as I remember. They also want a drivers license for security. I let them have mine and it has never been a problem.

That is how we have done Isla for the past 6 years. I dont like to be on a schedule. Hop on a bus from downtown that has Puerto Juarez on it and its only 6.5 pesos for the trip. On the return we usually took a cab to get back downtown instead of waiting for a bus.

6. ChrisnCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    50 bucks aint bad at all.In your opinion is the cart needed? We are a young couple in our 30's, I think a cart would be nice but I don't know that it's something I need to have. What's your thoughts?

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yes, get a cart. The island is 5 miles long by a mile wide and there is a road that circles it with plenty to see. That's about an 11 mile trip - far too hot to walk.

See my page at:
    http://www.cancuncare.com/Isla_Mujeres/
    for more info

Also remember there are other ferry terminals too, they may be closer to your hotel than Puerto Juarez and although a little more expensive may save you time and money.

8. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For sure get a cart!!

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you want to see the island on your own schedule you want a cart. Having seen the island about 5 times I no longer get a cart when I go to IM.

The ferry docks are in town, so we get off the ferry and walk to the beach then we get a meal in town and get back on the ferry.

You can get a cart for just a couple of hours if you want, but the whole day is the best deal.

The island is also nice for bike-riding if you'd rather get exercise instead of being just another tourist in a golf cart.

Another option is to pay a cab driver to take you around the island. I forget what they charge, but they give you about an hour and take you all over.

If I were you I would decide when I get on the island.

10. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have gone over to Isla as a day trip and also stayed there part of a 7 day vacation. I would suggest to go to Garrafon de Castilla Beach Club, it is inexpensive but a very nice place to snorkel at. (and a lot cheaper than Garrafon) Some of the boat tours actually stop right by there saying it is the best snorkeling, and it is very nice. We are going with another couple to Cancun in March, and we are going to do a day trip with them and just take the bus to the ferry dock and rent a golf cart too. Have fun!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice