Isla Mujeres, no sea weed

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by V, Jul 26, 2015.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Isla Mujeres, just a short ferry ride away from the HZ, has almost none of the sargassum sea weed that is plaguing the HZ now. North Beach is completely free of sea weed and even the Caribbean side has almost none, at this time.

Enjoy a day trip from the HZ and swim in sea weed free water.

2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Isla Mujeres beaches are primarily on the north end of the island: as you exit the ferry, turn left and you will be headed towards the first of the north beach areas. All of them are characterized by crystal clear water, and powdery soft white sand and have food and drink options, as well as beach chairs, umbrellas, etc., which you can rent for a modest sum.

1. On the left you will come to the first beach. It is the local people's favorite beach on the island. To the right is a popular expat place to eat and drink, JAX'S. This is a sports bar and will have TVs tuned to all the major sporting events around the world at the time of your visit.

2. Continue walking north, on the beach, and you will reach a point where the island and the beach bend to the right. You are now on the longest of the north beaches.

3. Walk till you reach the end of this beach and the island again bends to the right. Across the small, shallow bay you will see the Mia Hotel. To the right is the Fenix Restaurant and Bar, where most afternoons feature live, Caribbean style music.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We were out at Isla again today, no sea weed anywhere, aside from a small amount on the rocky Caribbean coast (not where you would want to swim).

We had lunch at the Mango Cafe, in one of the villages on the island. Wonderful food, uniquely blended. It's Mexican fusion, with fruits used to accent dishes like fish tacos, or chicken quesadillas. Just great! Wonderful salads, with raspberry salad dressings.

Cost, 11-12 USD per person for salads and main courses combined. Beers are 30 pesos. Great value restaurant.

Getting here means using a fast ferry, just a twenty minute ride from the HZ.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    To get to Mango's Cafe, and some other places of interest at Isla, you will need to use a taxi. This is easy enough to do, and you'll find the local drivers will want to charge you anywhere from 50-100 pesos, depending on the distance.

A 50 peso ride will get you to Mango's Cafe, for example. Another place you might like to try is Oscar's Restaurant, for the same 50 pesos. This restaurant is associated with a mooring for yachts and other types of boats. Try their pizzas for 150 pesos- enormous, enough for four normal appetites.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice