Isla Mujeres ferries

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by mpearson564, Sep 20, 2007.

1. mpearson564

mpearson564 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is my understanding that there is a new ferry that runs longer into the evening and is faster. We will be staying at the Omni, can anyone tell me how to get to this ferry, cost, etc.?

Oh, how do I get to the Walmart too?

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I've not heard of that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The nearest Isla ferry terminal to you is at what they call the Xcaret terminal nearby the Riu Americas hotel.

As for Walmart take the R1 bus headed downtown, make sure it says Walmart on the front, some R1's bypass walmart I believe. Although it is a long time since I've taken a bus that way myself.

3. kmurphy45

kmurphy45 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently printed out the schedules I found on the www.islamujeres.info site under the Planning and then Ferries topics. They describe the different ferries, their differences and their schedules. Hope this helps. A day trip to Isla is always on my agenda when I'm down there. In fact, this year we've decided we're going to stay overnight and come back to Cancun the following day. Can't wait to get down to Cancun and Isla again.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, I think you erred on the Walmart bus. The R-2 bus is the one that goes to Walmart from the Hotel Zone. And I believe the R-15 does too, but definitely not the R-1.

As to 564's question, it depends how long he or she has been away I suppose. The Gran Puerto has been open for a few years now and it dos have fast ferries, but not necessarily faster than those going to and from Puerto Juarez.

I prefer Gran Puerto myself. To get there from the Hotel Zone, take an R-1 bus THAT SAYS PUERTO JUAREZ on the front. Most, but not all, of the R-1's go to Puerto Juarez. It's about $.60 US per person each way. After passing through the downtown area, the bus makes a right onto Lopez Portillo. Ahead on your right you will see what looks like an observation tower (that is really a restaurant) and that is Gran Puerto. The ferry is 35 pesos per person each way or a bit over $3. You can buy one way or round trip tickets. When you get off the ferry look for a landmark so you get on the right boat on the way back.

For those who care, Puerto Juarez is a couple hundred yards past Gran Puerto, with fast ferries for the same price.

5. mpearson564

mpearson564 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks guys

you've been very helpful!!! :D

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That observation tower/lighthouse restaurant at Gran Puerto Cancun is now closed unfortunately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice