Isla day trip question (or two).

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Alice, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Alice

Alice Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm giving serious thought to doing a day trip to Isla Mujeres, but I'm little confused. If we go, we will get up early and take the bus to the port just North of downtown (can't remember the name). We will take a ferry over and I think get to Isla around 9 or 10 AM. We will want to rent a golf cart (or two) and explore the island. I think I would go North along the West coast and then around to the East coast in time to have some “tikin-xic” fish at Playa Lancheros for lunch. I think by now we will be ready for the beach and a nap; Garrafón (the natural park) sounds fabulous. The problem is I can only find "packages" which are rather pricey and include things we probably won't take advantage of. Is there just a basic entry fee, if so what is it? If we decide to stay later than our cart rental period, how do we get around? If we wanted to shop and have dinner downtown after laying out, is everything close enought to walk or are taxi's easily available? Thank you for your help (and I know I am a planaholic).

Alice

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I think you're probably referring to the Puerto Juarez ferry terminal, there are actually two ferry terminals that way- the older one and the newer one with the fast Ultramar boats.

The only entrance fee would be to the Garrafon park, I'm fairly sure (though not 100%) that this has been closed for sometime and still is.

Golf carts should be $40 per day or $15 per hour. All the main shopping and 90% of the restaurants are located in a square mile block close to the ferry terminal, so once you've done your golf cart tour of the rest of the island you probably wouldnt need them further. There are lots of taxis though if you need one.

3. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Garrafón I know nothing about (other than that it's on the far south end of the isla), but there is beach (real beach with sand and everything) on the northern end of the isla and all kinds of places along the beach to sit and rest and eat and drink or whatever that you can easily walk to from downtown.

This will be another instance where it's good to plan, Alice - because you're right, once you lose your golf cart, you're pretty much stuck downtown unless you want to take a taxi everywhere (or risk your life on a moped), so do all of your far-end sightseeing at once, then head downtown (and/or the nearby beach) to eat, drink, and relax.

I highly advise staying on the island long enough to 'eat in the street' downtown (Hildago St, actually) at night. Hildago at night reminds me of Burbon Street with different food and music every 20 steps.

4. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My husband and I are going to stay on Isla in June, and one of the things I have been looking into is Garrafon. The things I have been reading is that it is open, but the Garrafon Beach Club next door is supposed to be nice and you only have to pay $3.00 to get in. It is the Beach Club next door at this hotel, Playa Garrafón de Castilla , but obviously it doesn't include food or drinks.

I don't have much in the way of answers for your other questions, we did a day trip over to Isla in February and wanted to come back and see what it was like.

5. Alice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone. I do remember reading about Garrafón de Castilla on this site. I'll look into that as well.

Was this the area in one of Tom's Isla clips? That's one of my reasons for visiting.

Thank you,
    Alice

6. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well there ya' go.
    Thomas, clearly a vote for you to become a member of the Isla chamber of Commerce.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like you have a good plan going. Here's my suggestions....

Go early on the ferry from Puerto Juarez. Rent a golf cart and head down the west side of the island, towards Dolphin Discovery and the turtle farm. It's on that side of the island that you will find Playa Lancheros and the famous tikinxic fish. On the south west side you can also find the Hacienda Mundaca, the famous house of the pirate. Hit Punta Sur for some amazing views of crashing waves, a small ruins site and a sculpture park. Garrafon is open (I believe they are now owned and operated by Dolphin Discovery) but as someone mentioned, the Castillo de Garrafon is right next door and offers the same beach and snorkelling at a fraction of the cost (I think it's 40 pesos to snorkel). No need to go to the big park if you are not going to take advantage of all the attractions.

When finished on that side of the island, head down the east coast, stop a couple of times to head down to the shore and look for shells, there are piles and piles of shells, whole conches even! Depending on how much time you have left on your rental, you can either head to Playa Norte (beautiful beach on the north end) first or return the cart first then walk there. In town you will find that strip of restaurants and bars as seen in Tom's famous video. Take the ferry back whenever you are ready (this is the benefit of the Puerto Juarez ferry as opposed to the hotel zone ferry which has a final departure of 5 o'clock).

Happy planning, I LOVE Isla Mujeres!

8. M&M

M&M Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What time does the Pto Juarez ferry run until?

Mike

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I believe the last ferry leaves the island around midnight. They run every half hour up to that point.

10. Alice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you so much. I was pretty sure it was your post I had read about
    Castillo de Garrafon. The map I was looking at originally was upside-down so I was thinking the town and ferry dock were on the South side of the island. Anyway, I have more questions for you if you don't mind. Can we bring snacks and a soft sided coolers for drinks to Castillo de Garrafon or will there be waiter available from the hotel (I was thinking that you posted that there are chairs for rent and a waiter for drink and food orders)?

OMG we love looking for shells and sharks teeth, even more reasons to go! We will be on the beach past dark looking for shells and teeth lol; we look like idiots (or at least dumb blondes in a rut) chasing after things in the tide - that makes my day. I have a question about conches too, but I'm going to do a separate post.

Thanks again,
    Alice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice