Isla Blanca...how to get there

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by lambert13, Feb 22, 2007.

1. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hopfully it will not be garbage covered if we go there as well. That same type of thing happened when we went exploring in the Sian Kaan last year. I was so excited to see the beaches that I had heard about with miles of nothing in either direction. So, we packed up some food, drinks and supplies and headed down the bumpy road through the coastline jungle. The first and second and every beach we tried to stop at was covered with seaweed garbage and all assortment of things you would not want to lay down on. No I know that seaweed is natural and in ways the sign of a healthy beach in many ways including erosion control. I dont mind it at all. Hell I like the way it looks on a natural beach. But, when its got cans and wrappers and god knows what else intermingled in it, its just sad.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some of the garbage comes from the ocean, it washes up. But what bothers me is the garbage that people leave behind. Mexico has very few public garbage cans and you see people leaving behind their garbage after a day on the beach.

I've only been to 2 beaches in Mexico which were not groomed by people and also did not have garbage (well not much garbage) on them. One was on the far side of Cozumel, the other was south of Tulum and north of Sian Ka'an.

Isla Blanca has garbage left by beach goers unless you walk north past where it's fenced off. Then you can find a more pristine beach, but there's still garbage from the ocean.

Don't expect Mexicans to keep their beaches clean, they only do that for money. There is very, very little respect here for nature, even though it's a beautiful country. If you want the perfectly swept clean beach recognize that it is an illusion! And stay in a resort.

Sorry to say but the real Mexico has garbage on the beach.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been there a couple of times since Wilma. Pretty much you either go out Lopez Portillo as far as you can, or Drew's better route of Bonampak and go as far as you can. Then turn left. You go through the new develoment area on a nice paved road.

Then at the end of the paved road (TRACY-YOU SHOULD HAVE KEPT GOING HERE) you make a left onto a dirt road and proceed like you are in the middle of nowhere for 5 km. The road will then take a right and you are at the real Isla Blanca. THe road then turns left along the water but you are maybe 200 meters from the water.

Keep going and you get to the end of the world and a little restaurant called Acapulco. Fresh seafood and cheap beer. As Rivergirl said the prices are now nuts. AND you get electricity ONLY from windmills and solar panels, or generators but they don't count. It was 3 feet under water after Wilma so what few homes there are built on land that has been filled to a proper elevation.

Lambert - rent a car dude. Too hot and too dusty for a long ride, especially if you go to the end.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's not that far to ride...just hot...

5. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You're absolutely right. Even the beaches at resorts are not immune. I cant count how many times I have dug my feet into the sand and felt cigarette butts. Or plastic cups. Or whatever else people could not be bothered to carry 20 feet to a garbage can.

For me, I would rather be on a beach with a little garbage but no people, rather than a perfectly clean beach with crowds of people. From an environmental standpoint it just breaks my heart to see garbage on any beach. As a traveler its not necessarily my right to complain about anything ruining my vision of what I would like things to look like.

I was born and bred in the ghetto. There is not a whole lot that can phase me as far as appearances. I just get angry with people as a whole sometimes for their lack of respect and responsibility for nature. From the admittedly small view of Mexico that I have, it seems that there is an incredibly low respect for nature and the environment. From an economic standpoint it does not even make sense. In Mexico as everywhere else, money is king and people are willing to do whatever it takes to get it. But for an area like Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Riviera Maya, etc the primary attraction for most visitors is the ocean. In many ways they are cutting their own throats by going after the quick money. A little common sense and planning would ensure that the natural resources that bring visitors (money) will continue to do so for a long time.

Sorry for the rant. Its 8:30 am, and I have not had nearly enough coffee yet. Its starting to snow again and I would rather be on a garbage covered beach where it is warm right now.

6. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I will rtn to Isla Blanca even if only to meet the "wolf man" again- really interesting guy who lives out there and sleeps with his pet wolves.

I miss nature and wild beaches and seaweed and flotsam but I hate it when people don't appreciate how lucky they are to have such beauty on their doorstep and feel its their right to just dump stuff.How difficult is it to take stuff home with you?

I now have a fantatsy about Holbox being unspolit and gorgeous.Anyone been and could recom.?

Thanks
    Tracey

7. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its is kind of the same around here in MN, you get the people who have no problem just throwing their McD's bags and countless pop and beer cans and bottles.

I work as a land surveyor and I see a lot of garbage and now that they started requiring TV's, PC monitors to be recycled and I'm seeing those showing up in ditchs and on back roads. It's not that much to bring them to a recycling center.

I figure when you get gas you almost hit a garbage can with your door when you get out to fill up and everyones gotta fill er up and lose the garbage there.

Gonzo

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Trash is bad enough but what disgusts me is smokers who toss their cigarette butts out the window, or empty their ashtrays at a red light.

I would love to see someone irresponsibly tossing trash in a public place and then find out where they live. Then go there at night with a dumpster load and put it in their yard.

I have road rage issues too.

9. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :lol: Me too. From years of driving in NYC, I learned hold the wheel in such a way that I can use the horn, give the finger and still drive all with one hand.

10. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Me too :lol:

I was taught for 17 years by the Road Rage King, My Dad :rant:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice