Isla Blanca...how to get there

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by lambert13, Feb 22, 2007.

1. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have any of you ever been out to Isla Blanca? Not really an island but it looks like it has some nice deserted beaches. I see a road going out there if you continue past Punta Sam, but its too hard to tell if the road is accessible on Google Earth. I figured you guys would know more and/or have been out there. Thanks for the help.

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  3. Wabash

Wabash Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Soon to be the home of a couple of AIs.

4. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I read something about that. I wanted to get to see it before all the big development takes place.

5. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lordy, how many more AIs does the coast need?

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I spent Christmas day 2003 drinking n the beach at the end of the earth in Isla Blanca. It was lovely, certainly one of the most beautiful places I've seen anywhere on earth. I have not been up there in about a year. When I came here 3 years ago a lot there would cost $35k usd, now that same lot is selling for over $150k. Hmph!

You may already be too late to see it unspoiled. There's a lot happening up there and it seems a new project starts every minute.

There is a new road going up a little bit inland. Then there's a worthless road close to the beach, behind the first dune. Last time I went we rode our mtn bikes up the bad road and found our way to that rinkydink restaurant up there (Pirata Morgan I think) and had fish and beer. It was a nice day. But we passed a huge artificial lake being dug and lined. And we passed tons of places where the land had been flattened to make way for whatever was next.

Some of the land there was involved in a scandal a few years back in which a Mexican Green Party official took a huge bribe in order to allow development to go in there. I think the bribe was $2 million usd.

It's a terrible shame, when I went there first it was pelicans, and herons and water and Mexicans in beat up old cars drinking cheap beer.

When I first started going there there was a piece of land that was being professionally squatted on. Mexico has squatter's rights laws, so if you occupy a piece of land under certain circumstances, you can gain rights to it. Well there were a couple of guys up there who were being paid by some rich developer to "live" on the land. These people threatened us and ran us off the land, so we didn't get the whole story. But there's quite a story there...

If you are in shape I recommend getting a ride to Punta Sam and then riding a bike north, you'll see a lot and it's not that much riding, especially if you stop for beer and a fish...we should go with you...

7. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The "good" road is an extension of Bonampak.

Very handy when you need to get to the Isla Mujeres Car Ferry in a hurry and don't want to get stuck behind traffic along tope hell on the the beach road.

8. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Looks like I better get out there sooner than later.

I like the bike ride idea Rivergirl. Now I just have to teach Karen how to ride a bike. We had planned on doing that anyway.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The riding is not at all technical, just a bumpy road. More pleasant on a bike than in a car imho. But the sun will kill you, so prepare for that. Go early or late, bring extra water, cover up properly. It's fun though.

10. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I was so excited at seeing the rural picturesque beach at Isla Blanca.
    Unfortunately a very sad sight greeted us. It was so dirty- full of old beer cans and coke bottles- rubbish everywhere.
    There is now a large newish golf course and golf club there and alot of development.
    The road stops and becomes a dirt track after the gold course.

I am determined to visit again though in the hope that we just went on a bad day.
    Tracey

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice