Is Wal-Mart exploiting teen workers in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw a sign once at either Chedraui or Soriana soliciting those bagger kids. The requirements were, ID, signed letter of authorization from a school stating that they are in good standings grade wise, letter from parents, and were 12 to 16 years of age for "part-time" work. So at least they make some attempt to ensure that the kids are in school and off the streets. I have no problems whatsoever with teenagers working at the stores, I do get a little uneasy when I see kids that are clearly 8 or 9 working, but again, its better than them running around the streets and whatnot. Are the stores taking advantage of them...maybe. Is it a "bad" thing.... IMO, no. They can make a pretty decent coin if they are at a busy store and it does, as was mentioned, teach some basics of life and is a way to keep them on the right track towards being responsible adults. Just remember that the minimum wage here is about $4dlls PER DAY, so if they really wanted to take advantage they could offer them that and keep the tips. Everyone loves to attack the big dog, whether its Wal-mart or the US.... I think this more or less comes down to that basic fact.

2. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Very well said!!!

3. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Johndish...I know exactly what kid you're talking about. That kid always impressed me at Soriana. I always thought that his work ethic and attitude outshined many adults I know.

May he go far!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice