Is Wal-Mart exploiting teen workers in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Aug 1, 2007.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Wal-Mart prides itself on cutting costs at home and abroad, and its Mexican operations are no exception. That approach has helped the Arkansas-based retail giant set a track record of spectacular success in the 16 years since it entered Mexico as a partner of the country’s then-leading retail-store chain. But some of the company’s practices have aroused concern among some officials and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) that Wal-Mart is taking advantage of local customs to pinch pennies at a time when its Mexican operations have never been more profitable."

From Newsweek. Read the whole article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20056614/site/newsweek/

2. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is this the same as the grocery stores too????
    There is always young kids or older men bagging groceries.

3. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    And given Walmart Buiness Model this surprise you because?????????

Walmart cuts costs where ever and when ever they can get away with it. Seems everyone loves to shop at Walmart for the prices but they also love to complain about the low wages they pay their employees like somehow the two aren't connected.

Jamie

4. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You are right, Jamie!

5. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But you know I don't think this practice is unique to Wal-Mart.

Every time I'm in Chedraui with Dany I see it there too.

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is just my opinion, but personally I think the stuff they sell in Walmart is cheap rubbish, and the produce is terrible, I would rather pay a bit more and buy something that lasts more than a week. However as long as people shop there, they are gonna keep growing!

On a lighter note anyone tried the new "curry night" at Pat O'briens? :)

7. Wabash

Wabash Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some people will go to any length to slam WalMart. The kids that bag groceries in Mexico make pretty good money. Imagine if each person passing through checkout only gave 1 peso. You are still talking about a pretty good chunck of change. (I see the kids exchanging their coins for bills, all of the time).

The baggers are part of the charm of shopping in Mexico. I am sure that there are many Americans who would like to see these kids with union cards, pulling in $10 an hour, but I like it that I can help a kid make some spending money. I also like that I can pay a man to wash my car or cut my grass, and don't have to pay an arm and a leg to do so.

8. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wabash is also right!

9. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree!!!

10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree as well with Wabash, however I still think the stuff they sell is rubbish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice