Is this true...Tribute to

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by jeff & deb, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0

Just seen this

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The pastor planning to burn Qurans on the Sept. 11 anniversary said Thursday that he had called off the event after being given assurances that the Muslim group seeking to build an Islamic center near the World Trade Center site would move the project.
    "We would consider that a sign from God," the Rev. Terry Jones told reporters.
    It was unclear whether such a commitment from the Muslim group was forthcoming, though some reports said Jones and the leader of the mosque project had spoken earlier Thursday.
    "I have his word that he will move the mosque to a different location," Jones said.
    Jones also said he would travel to New York on Saturday to meet with officials of the mosque project.

2. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Why do I think this nut case "minister" is doing nothing more than being a publicity hound? How some individual who calls himself a religious leader can even propose something so stupid and distasteful is beyond me. What did he think his book burning would accomplish, other than totally pissing off a major chunk of the world? My cure for this "leader" is :lighting1:

3. rdubnpk

rdubnpk Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    Last word I heard is that the offer to move the Islamic Center was either a hoax or was rescinded and the book burning was back on. Followers of the church had armed and barricaded themselves inside the church. Makes me proud to be a Floridian!! And, no, we all aren't really a bunch of "crackers".

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well.. stupid is as stupid does I guess..... does this "pastor" have the legal right to burn copies of the Koran?.. yes he does.. should he?.. of' course not!... but if you want to place blame for the BS that is now unfolding, look to the media.. had they not sensationalized this little hillbilly church's idiotic plans 24/7, no one would have known or given a $hit about it.. but now we have to worry about lunatics strapping bombs the their chests and blowing up elementary schools "in the name of Allah" since its been reported on so heavily! Plus, now this idiotic (probably mentality unstable claiming he "hears God" and makes up outlandish deals in his own mind) guy is the face of America in the eyes of many in the Muslim world.

5. jeff & deb

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    Should it not be considered a hate crime!! If someone were to burn a cross would that not be considered a hate crime? If someone were to vandalize a christian cemetary or church would that not also be considered a hate crime? I wonder what this pastor would think if someone were to burn a stack of bibles...

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All crimes can be considered "hate crimes" I've never liked the idea that some group of people are more important than the rest and therefore get greater protections from the law if they are offended against by a different group, be it by race, religion, or orientation... (The idea that I can hit a white Christan and only get a slight punishment, but assaulting a gay black guy gets me locked away for years and years doesn't fly or seem very American... ie: "all men are created equal")

As for the other point, stacks of Bibles (along with American and Isreali flags/Torahs ) are burned every hour of every day someplace in the Muslim world, and for the most part no one cares. We realize that its just material things, probably made in China, and we certainly aren't going to threaten violence over those things... and again here is a big difference.. Islam, on the other hand, has elements who are prepared to murder and die over the mere suggestion of showing a characterization of Mohammad, or burning one of THEIR holy books... not to say that anyone should deface anything that might offend others, but you have to see the hypocrisy of it...

7. jeff & deb

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    I do agree with you, however the way I see it is why "you" punched whom ever.
    If you punched the the black gay guys because he is either black or gay then yes you should be put away for a long time. We in North America will not tolerate hate crimes... what happens in other countries is beyond our laws.
    At the same time I'm very frusterated that we welcome people into our countries that hate our way. I'm a firm believer that if you want or need to be here you must accept our way... No different that if I were to go to their country I would be expected to accept their ways and laws.

8. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Jeff,

There is a mosque in NY that has several men standing outside who preach the destruction of the US and all western nations. Now their right to say that is covered under Freedom of Speech, but if I stood out there and preached "Death to Islam" then I'm guilty of a hate crime. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it? Of course, it is NY City and logic and NY City should never be used in the same sentence. Here in Western NY the Seneca Nation of Indians is trying to keep their right to sell cigarettes and gas without charging taxes. The mayor of NY said the governor should "Saddle up and take his six-shooter" to bring the Senecas into line. That probably explains the mentality of NY City pretty well.

9. jeff & deb

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    Double standards... yup the North American way...

10. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Either way it's not what freedom of speech was supposed to be about. But your constitution protects the rights of morons to say what they want and even burn holy books.

In Canada that would be a hate crime no matter what holy book it was.

The main problem is still that most people are blaming all of Islam for the actions of a few. There are Muslims who have been Americans for generations and are now having their patriotism questioned.

How much longer until someone suggests putting them in camps like the Japanese.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice