Is this true...Tribute to

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by jeff & deb, Jul 31, 2010.

1. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus,

it's kinda mine too. You can believe what you want but we're better off without religion.

2. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'll speak up in defense of Obama. He spoke up regarding their right to build it but did not clarify why.

He has been very good at delivering prepared speeches, but he sure is lacking in expressing himself off the cuff.

Remember this?

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

So he should have said something like:

"When I became President I took an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

There is no wiggle room here. Our country was built of the premise of, among other things, freedom of religion. We don't get to pick and choose which religions are free.

Today the religion of Islam is held in question, by many. Tomorrow it could be another.

Popular opinion of the day may differ from our constitution. In fact, it has many times in our history. But what has kept us strong and free is our unwavering dedication to our Constitution and the freedom it provides for all Americans.

So, as your President, I will not now, or ever, set aside the Constitution of this great country regardless of my personal thoughts or feelings or those of my fellow Americans.

Instead, I urge you to consider the pride we should all feel, as Americans, living in a country where we are all free to worship God, peacefully and within the laws of our land, in a manner of our own choosing.

Leave intolerance to other nations. Let America continue to be the beacon of hope and freedom for all the world to see. That has always been and is still today, our destiny."

3. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    But we are all finding that organized religion is hurting people. Belive what you want but don't push it, kill people because they don't believe what you believe.

4. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Again it's perspective ... I say it's fanatics that are hurting people not the religion. A group like "God Hates Fags" can operate in the U.S. because they're not actually (physically) hurting anyone.

They're expressing an extreme view of religion but until they actually cause physical harm to anyone they can say what they want.

I'm not sure I believe in their right to do that but hey.. they have the right.

Here's where we definitely agree.... if you're going to try to push your God on me .. @#$@ off.. *L*...

5. rdubnpk

rdubnpk Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    I am not a religious person either, but my views shouldn't overide the views of those that differ. For instance, PK's older sister was feeling numbness in her joints, etc and they discovered a tumor on her brain. They have removed as much as possible, but some remnants remain that were unable to removed because of proximity to vital areas. If I were her I would be freaking out, but she is taking everything in stride and relying on her strong faith in God to see her through. That is what people see in a higher being in it's purest form...someone to rely on for strength, understanding, and support outside of themselves, along with the Desire to help others. That organized religion has, in a lot of cases, prostituted these basic premises of religion should in no way be cause to remove those that Desire it from access.

6. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nicely put.

Organized religion sucks and is for the most part corrupt in my opinion. If you're truly a believer you don't need to go to a church for your god to hear you.

7. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    God is within you... I don't believe god is outside, up above somewhere else out there...
    and yes Organized religion sucks they don't want people to believe in themselves, they want you to believe in somthing or someone else.
    You are your own god.

8. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As for this Mosque/Cultural centre.... what New Yorkers should be calling for is that space in the 13 floors should be given to a church and a synagogue to show that they really want to bring people together.

9. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I find it interesting that the majority of people that enjoy debates on this forum are atheist, agnostic or at least apposed to organized religion.

Could it be... "I think, therefore I'm not a follower"?

10. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many have already suggested that idea. But no one honestly thinks Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf and other Muslims would go for a Mosque, Church, and a Synagogue under the same roof...Realistically, there's no chance!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice