Is there really no inflation?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by V, Jun 29, 2013.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    When you look at the statistics for the last year, the rates of price rise are going down, not up; and, the inflation for the last twelve months is said to be less than 2%.

What's it really like on the ground where you live: are prices really that stable?

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

2. Jess_2703

Jess_2703 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0
    This year the price was so high and they look less expensives for next year :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    V, from a business standpoint I still see inflation as an issue. Fuel prices still fluctuate wildly but the price of food at the store and the costs of most everything seems to still be rising. We have been giving out raises around 5% to 10%, but the other costs are on the increase. Health insurance is constantly on the rise with this year's increase at around 12%. Payroll taxes continue to go up as do income taxes. If you would like to see uber inflation, just check out college tuition. I see most tuitions doubling in the last 10 to 15 years and with twins beginning to look at colleges, that is a very uncomfortable feeling.

I really don't put much stock in the government's definition of inflation. When they say there is no inflation I actually see our costs go up on a very steady path. Sadly I put their definition of inflation in the same bucket of credibility that I put their Desire to protect my privacy!

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks, Twini! I travel to the U.S. a couple of times a year, but my short visits are not enough to give me a feel for the cost of living.

Here, in Cancun, it's obvious enough that inflation is alive, and well, with prices increasing 5% or so, each year, on most things I'm familiar with.

5. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    V, I really question the way the government calculates inflation. I see our costs constantly going up here in my office while the government says that there is basically no inflation. Even things like postage have gone up dramatically along with our health insurance and energy costs and yet, we have a government that says, "Inflation, what inflation? I don't see any inflation." I guess Alfred E. Neumann is alive and well and living in Washington.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice