Is humidity bad for a cushy leather sofa?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by davisod, Feb 14, 2007.

1. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I heard that some cushy sofas get damp & mildew-soaked in summer humidity, but would leather upholstery make a difference? Is humidity as bad for a cushy leather sofa?

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Leather in general and humidity don't really go very well together. At least, from what I have seen.

Ask someone who's had a leather jacket hanging in the closet for a few months to take it out and look at it. If it was black, it's now green.

My last furnished apartment had a leather couch and I kept it covered because it would get a little mold and also, it had cracked all over the place and was flaking away. Not so nice to sit on.

If you have it in air conditioning and baby it...treat it properly, it will do fine.

I don't think the cushy factor really makes a difference. Leather is leather and it's glue for mold.

3. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    >Leather in general and humidity don't really go very well together.

Yeah. We used to have to bring the cows inside when it started raining. :^)

But seriously, I think leather likes a certain humidity range.

Too dry + sun = cracking.

Too humid plus no light = mold.

Keep it well oiled and you shouldn't have any problems. Armorall maybe?

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would not want to be sitting on armorall. I have Leather on my dinning room chairs and have no problem, as long as you have a place that is well ventilated leather should be fine.
    Now My leather Bags and Jackets those i keep in a closet with a tube i bought years ago that heats up a very little bit and keeps the humidity level down. The samething can be done by istaling a light socket and small watt lightbulb in your closet, it keeps the mold and mildew away.

5. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i had leather sofas for 4 years (the same ones) i never had problem with mold. of course it could have had something to do with the fact that our maid thought a bottle of oil per week was appropriate...

now my shoes and my jacket in the closet was a mess. the couch in the living room with better ventilation no problem...

we did not have ac in the living room..

now it was a little sticky in the summer.

6. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you keep well ventilated plus 1 bag of charcoal above each couch (sofa) it will keep all the humidity and stains away.

7. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ana, what is the size and type of charcoal?

8. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just buy a bag of charcoal, open it and locate it under the couches over some paper so your floor or carpet remain clean.

This advice also work for closets, basements and when you car get wet and stinks. Change the charcoal every 4 weeks

9. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have leather sofas which are about 3 years od. We have a dog too which doesn`t help to keep it clean. We found that they started to crack a bit after about a year and a half. Now three years on they are a bit old looking. Also in the hot summer months they are a bit uncomfortable if you don`t have air con - think hot sweaty legs sitting on leather!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice