Is anybody moving here, anymore?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 22, 2015.

1. wild1s

wild1s Naughty 'n Nice Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3,878 / 9

That's good to hear. Most of what I'm referring to involves real estate transactions and dealing with any branch of government or utilities or just being taken advantage of in general.

2. MandEOntario

MandEOntario Addict Registered Member

West of Toronto; Empty nesters with a hot tub
    Ratings:
    +2,673 / 4
    Steve, can you talk a bit about the realities of security (e.g. after dark; home security, personal security,etc) and the true reliability/response time of police services? Rumours exist about lack of response, corruption, organized crime, bribery, so it's important folks like you have the experience to set the record straight. Interesting topic to quelch any unfair rumours and get the facts out? For example, travel alerts say, while travel to the state of Jalisco (where Puerto Vallarta is) is not advised due to conflict between drug cartels and state police, the Yucatan Peninsula (Cancun, Cozumel and Riviera Maya) has not been significantly affected at this time and is still deemed okay for travel by the government of Canada.

3. Tyler and Angie

Tyler and Angie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,018 / 2
    The hubby and I are moving down in January for the year. We're starting the process to become Mexican citizens as soon as we arrive. After traveling to Mexico 9 times since last August, we have decided that this is where we want to spend our time away from the states.
    We're taking a mid life retirement to enjoy the little things while we're still able to get around without walkers or scooters! LOL
    The Yucatan has the lowest crime rates in Mexico and if you compare to the States right now, there aren't too many places that don't have high crime rates in the States.
    Currently looking into Playa Del Carmen but we have entertained the idea of moving to Progreso. We're taking a cruise Oct 29th down to Cozumel and Progreso so we'll give it a lookover while we're there.
    Steve, if there is any advice you could offer we would greatly appreciate it.
    Coming down to Mexico for a year isn't that scary for us because we've traveled so much but the language barrier does give me some hesitation.
    P.S. Can't wait for the TTR re-opening!!! We'll be there during a lot of the reno period so hopefully we'll be able to spy on the progress a bit.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If anyone hesitates to answer a question like this it's probably because it's so hard to say something meaningful about it. All the things you mentioned exist in Mexican society and if you spend enough time here you may bump into situations which make you aware of it but for the most part people can live here in retirement without encountering too many problems.

5. El Guero

El Guero Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Congrats on the adventure you're about to take ! I lived in Cancun for 11 years, very successfully and very happy but would offer this advice, very seriously;

1. Re-think trying to become Mexican citizens, at the risk of losing US citizenship.

2. If you haven't - learn Spanish as quickly and as completely as you can. the more you practice, the easier it will become. Do not try to move there with only a few phrases. . . that WILL be dangerous for you in various ways.

Good luck. . have fun !

6. Pamela Kelly Sztyblewski

Pamela Kelly Sztyblewski Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's more like there are people moving here but THEY don't know it yet. When one came here to get a teaching job and didn't, and is still stranded here, one is still a "visitor" here just here for an "extended visit." 6, 7, 8 months is still a "visitor." I mean, I've been stuck here months but that doesn't make me a Mexican citizen or legal to work here. I'm just "here" using up my savings account and trying to work "cash in hand" and biding my time for my deportation...if I can't make enough in bloody Pesos for even the cheapest airfare after any one of my passports manages to get here...

7. Cancunscorpio

Cancunscorpio Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Pamela, something ain't right in your story and I ain't buying it.
    Why are you talking about deportation when you can just show up at the airport counter, pay a "overstay fee" and take your flight out of Cancun??
    During all my years in Cancun and Playa del Carmen/Cozumel I've helped dozens of people from different countries who had overstayed for 2+ years in some of the cases to safely fly out of Mexico.
    Yes, those folks had to pay a hefty fee at the airport, but why do you have to use up your savings account when you claim in another message that you are getting 1000 pesos per day and living very cheap in some hostel?? Most Mexicans do NOT get that amount of money daily. Not even remotely close to that amount!
    And the cheapest airfare in the month of June from Cancun to Dublin is 332$ US. That equals max 7 days of your work !!!

On a side note: teaching English? In Mexico??? There is NO money in it here. You should've done a proper research BEFORE coming to Cancun. Private schools will pay you peanuts and will never care to help you with your residence and work permits.

8. Oscar Adrian

Oscar Adrian Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Pamela, i empathize because i have been in your situation...for almost 17 years; please email me, we might be able to help out each other oscar.adrian.photography@gmail.com or thru my fb page oscar adrian photography or vkontakte

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice