Invest 93

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Jun 21, 2010.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Benuk: Dont know about the one around the corner, but Im sure they will be.

9am beer has NEVER hurt anyone, hehe :)

Bad words in Swedish are more funny than they sound "bad", with a few exceptions... ;)

2. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Tropical storm warning now officially in place from Chetumal to Cancun.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Alex

Our storm now has a name, "Alex". Rotation is very obvious in the animations.

http://home.comcast.net/~herbwx/hurrican.html

Now under 300 miles away, it seems to have been influencing our weather since sometime yesterday, with extra cloudiness and just a little more rain (two, three brief showers).

While not very powerful, it is large, covering the entire area of the Western Caribbean, and all of Central America, with wind, and rain.

http://www.stormpulse.com/

If it stays true to predictions, it should be out of our hair by late Monday, or early Tuesday.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hurricane in the Gulf?

Alex is said to more closely resemble a hurricane, in recent hours, as it moves across the Yucatan Peninsula, well south (storm center, 260 miles) of Cancun.

When it reaches the Gulf, it may begin to strengthen and that's when it could get interesting, with some computer models showing it heading for the Texas/Louisisana border, and very near the site of the largest oil spill in U.S. history.

We hope that doesn't happen, as it would greatly compound the harm already done to the U.S. gulf coast up to this point in time.

For more details-

Messages [Alex] / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Alex headed north

Alex is now out over the Gulf, and has intensified. It is predicted to be over water four or more days, and to strengthen during that time, perhaps to a significant hurricane. Many of the computer models are showing landfall to be Texas, and one is predicting Louisiana.

Most forecasters nevertheless feel the storm will make landfall in north Mexico, rather than the U.S.

For you tourists who may be reading and wondering, the storm is now thoroughly out of our hair, and the sun back in the sky, where it should be!

Come on down, and enjoy your visit!

6. coreyj0724

coreyj0724 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is good to here, it doesn't sound like it was too intense for the Cancun area. Hopefully it won't be bad for where it makes landfall next either.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The National Hurricane Center is now warning the Texas coastal counties in S Texas to prepare for a category 2 hurricane, with heavy rains, wind and flooding. Alex is supposed to reach hurricane status by tomorrow morning, and make landfall on Wednesday. The storm is unusually big, if not unusually strong, and the warnings cover a broad territory which includes both Mexico and the United States.

Cloudiness and winds generated by this big storm system are now reaching as far north as the coasts of Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. Amazing.

If you'd like to see what the skies look like, and what people are saying about the potential for high seas around the site of the work to deal with the oil spill, click here-

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128172301

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Alex affects oil cleanup

Boats and barges that were being used to skim oil in the Gulf have been pulled off station, owing to high waves caused by Alex.

For anyone who would like to see what this remarkably large storm now looks like from above, go to the website, below, and double-click on the image called, "animated loop", at the top of the page.

Mid-Atlantic Weather Station's Hurricane/Tropical Storm Page

Alex doesn't seem to be influencing our weather any longer, as of late Tuesday afternoon, aside perhaps from having more wind than usual.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice