Invasion!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Dec 23, 2006.

1. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Depends on how you use your AC and what type you have.

I changed my central unit to minisplits in each room, I use it moderately (it is not a freezer in here) at night, all summer long -more than 6 months- almost never during the day, only to dry up when it is so humid, and my bills are never more than 500 PESOS for 2 months at the hotest times.

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know people that have been very surprised when their electric bill is more than 8000 pesos! They learn pretty quickly to shut the A/C off. :D

Most folks I know don't run the air much at all. Those that do (usually) pay for it dearly, 7000 or 8000 pesos for two months.

3. BiznKitty

BiznKitty Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's certainly more than our bill in the US. In Tampa, our electric bill will run $250 or so in the summer months. I think we will have to learn to be more conservative with the air. In Belize, July through much of September was almost intolerable without air. We had air in one room of the house and almost lived in there when we were home during the hottest monts.

From the posts here, I take it that billing is in two month increments.

Thanks for the info.

Biz

4. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Before I moved here, I had been told about the 7000-8000 pesos elec. bill and so I have only used the air when I've really needed it for a few minutes. With the fans I bought, the temp. really isn't that bad in the house (although it really hasn't been hot yet), so for now, no ac--not so bad!

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In the summer months I would use my a/c during lunch time and all night long until I left for work. My bill was 2,000 pesos for two months. I don't have a mini-split but do have two a/c units in two seperate bedrooms and sometimes I would even run the a/c in the second bedroom because the place was so hot. I guess that's pretty cheap considering. But another thing to take into consideration is 1) people stealing electricity from you (it has happened to me as well as stealing water from me) and 2) your meter. Some run fast some run slow. All depends. 3) you can actually have an electrical leak just like you can have a water leak and that can be costly.

6. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have a dyslexic meter reder, so our bill bounces from almost zero to 9k to almost zero all the time. Then they come around and accuse us of fiddling with the meter, and it's all down hill from there, I tell you.

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The last time that happened to me I took the digital camera and snapped a shot of the meter face with the top banner from that day's Miami Herald (to document the date). I printed the shot and took it to CFE. They straightened out the accounting while I waited.

8. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good idea! I'll try that next time.

Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice