Internet providers in cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by violet0905, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Not good news at all James.

On the 8th August Jannet went to the Telmex office and said we wanted to switch to them. They said to allow 5 working days for an engineer to come over. After multiple calls an engineer finally came over on 26th August (13 working days later) and put the wiring in. However, the router was not connected at the main office and he said it would be later that afternoon. The landline was not connected either.

One week went by with no service (daily phone calls) and he came back again a week later on 2nd September. This time he did get some kind of Internet service but ridiculously slow (less than 1MB down and virtually nothing up). He said he needed to get the office to turn up the speed and would do so later that day.

That was a week ago and we're still waiting despite daily calls again. The engineer gave us his cell number, but he wont even answer it any more.

Surprisingly Alactel have not terminated our Internet service yet although unbeknown to us at the time, someone came round and physically cut the landline wire. Since the landline has yet to work with Telmex we have been without a landline for 3 or 4 weeks. Annoying as I have family in the UK where calls to mobiles here are very expensive so they missed talking to my son on his birthday and I've also missed some calls from my bank.

So we have had an almost unusable Internet service for almost a month that is slower than the one we originally had and no landline at all. If they dont fix it by the end of next week they can come pick up their router in 25 different fragments.

Today's speeds:

New Telmex
    [​IMG]

Old Alcatel
    [​IMG]

2. jamestbowen3

jamestbowen3 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, Steve. That is so bad it is almost breathtaking. I guess I'll go with Alcatel, which isn't great but is better than what's going on with Telmex. What a disaster. I guess you are going to renew with Alcatel???
    Does Telmex _phone_ service work well for you when they don't chop through the cable? Or is crappy and unreliable as well?

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have Telmex phone service but that's all. Never had a single problem with it.

I would like to dump Cablemenos for the TV thing but their internet rocks. Have had lots of issues with the cable tv. They just eliminated ABC & NBC English channels a couple of years ago, but promised they would get it back in 4 months. Never did. Then they killed The American Network which had CBS programming but was not a direct broadcast or whatever you would call it. They just mess with their customers.

I am reconnecting my Slingbox in the next couple of days. Will decide then how deep I want to cut my tv pkg with them. I really love the internet though.

Don't even need these kinds of numbers. Wish I could send some over to you Steve.

[​IMG]

4. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    James, unfortunately you get used to things like this. After 9 years I try not to stress about these situations but fail badly :)

Not sure what we're doing yet, the router is still in one piece at the moment! It's about a month since we asked to switch so if we recieve a bill I may go a bit mental.

I know Telmex are capable of delivering a faster speed, it's just getting them to do it. Still no landline. I keep mentioning Alcatel, I actually mean Axtel. I'm half expecting Axtel to switch us off any time.

We had Telmex land lines at our old places for years and never any major problems.

How's the move going? You our neighbour yet?

5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    That would be kind of you TJ, I could use them :)

Cablemenos told us that their service was not available in Cumbres, mind you Telmex told us that too. Although it transpires Telmex was partially correct :)

6. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the information!!

7. baztack

baztack Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use my phone for everything:

[​IMG]

Tethering to the laptop, and for the actual phone use.

8. baztack

baztack Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jealous of the 20Mbps Upload, how much was that a month?

Guess I can retract the last statement, typically where I am using most internet my phone is in 4g. Which is those numbers posted. However I did another test when in LTE mode and it was 11MBps download and 7Mbps upload. Lightening fast and no cables. Seems like the easy winner. Even being in 3g provides a 2.5-3Mbps Down and a 0.4Mbps upload.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  9. Drummer

Drummer Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all,

After being an avid reader of this forum for many years (brilliant place for info on living in Mexico!) I've finally made the move to Mexico - although Guadalajara rather than Cancun.

I work from home over the Internet so was worried about the connection I could get over here. Well I shouldn't have worried. I just wanted to show you guys what type of Internet connection Axtel is offering in other areas of Mexico - something for you to look forward to in Cancun.

$999 a month for a symmetrical 200Mbs connection - I couldn't get that in London. They are coming to tune it next week so that the speed will increase from:

[​IMG]

10. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Wow, that's crazy fast!

Can't understand why they cant put in the infrastructure here to support that kind of speed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice