Internet providers in cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by violet0905, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    They are half right - it doesn't exist in that I have never got anywhere near the speed they claim it should be, but they have certainly charged me for it.

We had Axtel installed yesterday, although haven't had chance to test it yet. There was an offer on, it cost 190 pesos for installation and then 120 pesos a month for the first 2 months and then 500 thereafter. Speed is supposed to be 5Mb.

We are moving to Cumbres (by the Superama on the way to the airport) so not really the jungle. No idea why it is not serviced by Telmex or Cablemas - possibly because there are no overhead cables, everything is underground. The guy who installed the system yesterday had to put some antennae thing on the roof and said it worked by microwaves - never heard of that before!

Edit:
    I expect it's this kind of system:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX

2. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Weird! Kind of like satellite? If Axtel works for you, i might change, save myself 500 pesos a month as i don't use the calls i get with telmex. I wonder how the VOIP is and how logmein.com would work through it? I know when i tested on a 5mb cablemas it was terrible in comparison.

3. Cokewithlime

Cokewithlime Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +246 / 3
    Steve - my sister who lives in Sri Lanka has the same setup - now very common in third world countries with little modern telcom infrastructure.

We regularly do Skype voice and/or video calls with her and it seems to work very well. Certainly not as fast as my hard wired connection in Canada but she is paying a fraction of what I pay per month - lol

4. LionsNzebras

LionsNzebras I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0
    Hey guys, from a canadian prespective and fast internet for cheep.
    I just find it hard to see that these guys are charging you the same for 1/5 th the bandwidth that we get.

I pay 50 month for 25 meg line, its always 25 meg. Its fast as snot.
    We get 250meg for about 125 bucks month as well, Which is 1500 pasos.

So if they are charging roughly the same money for the lower end packages as they do here, where is the problem in providing a solid 5 meg line?
    Infrastructure? Available fiber? Over subscription?

Sorry I dont know much about the Mexican network infrastructure on phone\cell\internet\cable, one would assume that that technology is technology, regardless of location.

I have been to Mexico 9 times, and every time my internet experience has been brutal brutal brutal.

Perhaps you guys need me as a tech down there to make things faster :)

5. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One would expect with the owner Mexicos only real telecom provider being the richest man in the world and Mexican that Mexico would have one of the best services in the world. No chance.

6. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Here's my new 5Mb connection, not great but sufficient for me:

[​IMG]

and my old 20Mb connection:
    [​IMG]

7. jamestbowen3

jamestbowen3 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Internet Providers in Cumbres / South Cancun

Steve,

Just curious how that Axtel (or any other option that may have surfaced) is working out for you in Cumbres 6 months later (sorry for the stale thread, but time can be an important variable in judging ISPs). We are looking at renting in Cumbres and Internet is extremely important for my home office. Also wondering if they will sell (and deliver) faster than 5Mb there. I see other speeds/prices on their website for Axtel X-Treme (such as 20Mb for 649 pesos) but that might be different than what they are offering in Cumbres.

I'm also curious about your experience negotiating a rental in Cumbres; that's off topic so I'll try to PM you.

Thanks!
    James

8. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    James, since moving to Cumbres we have found that Telmex is available after all. We were initially told they didnt service Cumbres but once we moved in we found a Telmex junction box not far from the house. By then we had already contracted with Axtel but our initial six months is now up.

Axtel has been mediocre, speeds usually struggle above 2Mb and often drop away ridiculously to 28K modem levels. The higher than 5MB speeds they show on their website are for other parts of Mexico, not here so I understand.

Coincidentally, we are replacing Axtel with Telmex next week. We are told it is fibre optic 10MB, so if I can get a regular 5MB I'll be content. I dont need an ultra fast connection just a reliable one and it would be nice to watch a video without buffering.

I answered your Pm re renting in Cumbres, but in essence we love the area and have no regrets although it is a little pricey compared to most other parts of Cancun.

9. jamestbowen3

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve,
    Just wondering how your Telmex Internet is going in Cumbres since you planned to have it installed almost 1 month ago now. (I hope that means it has been installed by now! ;-) )
    What kind of speeds are you getting on your new "10MB" Telmex plan, if you don't mind sharing?

10. jamestbowen3

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BTW, you want to watch a video without buffering??? WAT? Don't be silly now...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice