Internet providers in cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by violet0905, Nov 17, 2010.

1. violet0905

violet0905 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Was wondering ,Im gonna have to get internet for my place, was sharing with landlady but won't anymore so is there any more choices than Cablemas or Telmex or the really slow and not reliable Telcel connection.

I would appreciate some info on this .

Speed, prices,reliability,customer service all that . Thank you!!

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    You've mentioned all the options I know of.

We've always used Telmex and it's been pretty stable for the last few years. We pay 900 pesos a month but that includes the phone and some plan or other for cheap calls.

Customer service? well, I'd take that out of the equation -they are all bad I'm sure, it's more a case of finding the least bad.

3. violet0905

violet0905 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah ,well Im starting a hardcore investigation on prices and time they take to connect me and I will i guess have to make a choice ,sucks they wont give u more options ,a friend mentioned Axtel but I remember hearing lots of bad reviews in Mexico city about it ,guess here might be worse?

so my choices are ...provisionally buying a modem with Telcel
    contract with either cablemas or telmex...

but to say the truth I prefer talking on my phone or skype ,not have a home number :p haha sucks they wanna give me one!

Thanks for the insight on Telmex Steve ,i still dont experience them is it a good speed ?

4. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Axtel internet service and speed.

When we built our new house back in December, the ONLY option we had was Axtel. It was pretty slow when we first got it. We had the 2 meg connection and that was too slow for us and were able to upgrade to the 4 meg in Feb. It wasnt very good at first, then we had a tech come out and get it all adjusted and we really love it now. Our speed is really consistant now...stays over 3 megs 90% of the time and usually its over our 4 meg plan, like today(speedtest from today below) Our bill was $560 pesos this month for the 4 meg connection and unlimited home phone service. They have also been very helpful with any problems we have had and were quick to take care of the issues.

[​IMG]

5. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where did you contract the Axtel? I thought it was a mobile phone thing only until I saw an advert the other day, well caught part of it, something about up to 20 meg! Well randomly, I was downloading last night and it got up to 600kbps, so I just did a Speedtest (I have the 5mb 1000 pesos a month package with Telmex) and I got this, very similar to what you have, although I'd much rather pay 560 pesos a month!! My contract does include free calls to the states but I have skype for that so don't need it.

[​IMG]

6. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay i found them and am decoding the website right now in my best translation!

Axtel

Looks pretty straight forward and a great price compared to Telmex rip off! I just hope they have it here at the Jardines Del Bonampak end of Bonampak because they don't have Cablemas here and we would have converted if they did as we're forking about 1700 a month plus credit card renewal charges for internet and tv, which sucks. Hopefully the new road they are building/expanding means more access down here, just a shame they are taking away the local dump, i mean place to go running! :icon_lol:

7. wadekranz

wadekranz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Hi Violet, we too are looking for an Internet provider in Cancun. Who did you finally go with and what speed, monthly cost and what about service so far?

Wade and Janet
    wadekranz@hotmail.com

8. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    This is a two year old thread Wade, but the info above is still pretty accurate.
    There's still 2 main options Infinitum with Telmex or Cablemas.

Our Telmex 20Mb connection is about 1000 pesos a month, including phone. Except it is rarely as fast as 20Mb.

9. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Last post about Axtel is a couple of years old so wondered how Axtel was working out for you Trina/Bundy? Also anyone else use them?

We are moving house this weekend and as we went to arrange the changeover of Internet service, to my horror, just discovered that where we are moving to has neither Telmex or Cablemas service!

We called them and the only option they have is 5Mb for around 500 a month (includes landline and free local calls, 100 minutes calls to cellphone etc). We were told the packages on their site (20Mb and 100Mb) are only available in North Mexico, not here.

I suppose its a rhetorical question really since we have no other option, but guess I'm looking for some reassurance that Axtel is ok. Else I'll be claiming a permanent table in Starbucks.

10. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, please let me know what you find out. I'm fed up of Telmex and the 1000 pesos a month for what is supposed to be 10 but is actually 6mb! They tell me your 20mb doesn't exist! LOL! Sorry to hear you can't get Telmex, where you moving to, the jungle?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice