Internet at last

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Finally got our new internet connection fixed up today.

We asked for the switch to be made 3 weeks ago, one week before we moved to our new place. We moved in only to find we had no telephone line at all. Telmex were "busy" and promised us time after time someone would come tomorrow, we waited in but they never did.

Finally our landlord tracked down an engineer and bribed him to see us during his lunchtime, ahead of our real place in the queue . He fixed the telephone line, we saw the internet wasnt working and he promised he'd report it (we later learned he forgot) But we did also get him to install an additional line in the separate office building we now have for just 250 pesos :)

Multiple calls to Prodigy resulted in requests to wait 3 working days (we waited 2 before calling again) only to be told to wait 3 working days more. We asked for an engineer to be sent out but they said we didnt need one... we just needed to wait 3 working days. This went on about 3 times.

Then today, the same (previously bribed) Telmex engineer shows up for our originally scheduled appointment (he has to fill it in on his job ticket) he goes to the junction box down the street, fixes a few wires and hey presto green light on the modem.

No longer shall I have to drive the streets with my laptop looking for an unsecured connection to tap into. Now if we can only get our furniture delivered that we paid for 2 weeks ago.

2. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Glad to see you back on the board, Steve.

Good luck with the new house and furniture.

Keep the beers cold! :cool:

3. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome home, Steve!!! Good to see you survived being without the internet! God help me and my honey if we ever have to experience that! :lol:

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I contracted Cablemas yesterday, after going to their office to get the info the Saleslady gave me her cell # I compared sky Opcioncable and Cablemas and decided to call the cell and contract Cable. She was at my house in 10 minutes and according to her we will have Cable within 48 hours possibly even today :wink: I of course am holding my breath. :p

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome back to the land of the internet addicted! Sorry you've had to endure the "mañana¨syndrome!

So, you have a separate office building on your estate? My my, and where does the help sleep? :wink:

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve - Welcome back to the land of the living.

Buzz Cafe is always a good place to go when you need public internet, I've been known to sit there for 4 hours, and only order one cup of coffee...

I hope your furniture gets there soon, I was just drooling over couches today, I may start twisting hubby's arm about getting a new couch...

7. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Steve,
    Glad you're back up and running? Where did you order the furniture from then? I guess not Liverpool cos they are usually pretty good.

I had the same problem with Telmex when they connected our phone line - also bewarer, they will take forever to figure out where to send your phonebill. We got a phone connected two months ago and have not yet received a bill - they now cut the connection because we didn't realise the month had passed and hadn't received a bill!

8. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lucky you, Steve, and all others, you are not aware, but you live in a very quick country :lol:

I asked a phone line in Paris through internet from Cancun, I got it 4-5 days later (before I arrive, actually!). The real problem occured when I asked internet from a competitor. They call that "degroupage total", no idea what could be a translation in any language. But at that moment FranceTelecom cut the line, and you have to wait until they "switch" the plug. I waited "only" 8 days, but I have heard some people stay without phone and internet up to two months. :evil:

Sometimes I am ashamed, and I swear I will not complain anymore in Cancun, which, of course, I will forget next time I need a plumber or a service :D

9. lilnottsman

lilnottsman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Degroupage

"Degroupage total" is called "unbundling" in English.

10. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And that exists in another country??? :roll: I was not aware of it, I thought it was a French specialty :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice