International Night Marathon

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 30, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Results

Tori, can you give us a report on how it was for you and your dad? Have you got any race results for the event, as a whole?

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, so this being my very first race and going with my Dad whom has been doing this for 30+ years and did his share of Marathons and an Ultra a couple years ago, I was a little overwhelmed and emotional.
    That being said... When I approached the start, I started my stopwatch...and finished at it saying 35:28. Checked today and my "official time" states I completed in 28:18. IMPOSSIBLE!!!! My Dad's time is also off. Now on FB there is a group for runners of the area and they all claim their time is OK. How is this possible? My Dad is an organizer of a Race every year and isn't an amateur with the process. Someone dropped the ball somewhere...and he is leaving this piece of info from the people back home.
    Other then that...I have no other gripes. Wish more folks came out....oh and that it started and finished inside the HZ. Us 5k'ers had not much of a view. Not sure why they changed the course. Last year it was all at the Flag.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Where, in the HZ?

As for your time of 28:18, completely believable! That would be the equivalent of maintaining a slow run for the entire 5K, without taking any walking breaks.

The time you gave yourself would be more appropriate for me!, and is just a little faster than a brisk walk; or, as I actually do it, a run/walk.

4. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh I walked. I know my time that I did is correct, especially since my Dad timed me as well as himself. I had a pretty great pace until the turn around and the sun was right in my eyes and gave me a terrible headache. After that, I never thought the finish would appear.

The Start/Finish was at the Flag at Casa Maya. Not sure why they moved it to downtown. No spectators....kind of got bored. I like the roar of cheer. Help to motivate.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Actually, Tori, if you were walking part of the way, 35 min is not half bad! Sorry about the headache. There is another possible reason for your headache, though, besides the sun.

It often occurs, with some people, that when they exert themselves in an event of this type, they get an "exertion headache". My wife does, and she has avoided fast running for that reason, and will not compete for time.

Taking an aspirin both before and after might prevent it, but I don't know, because she hasn't tried it. I don't get them, and perhaps most don't, but some do and it takes away some of the fun, obviously.

As for someone to cheer you, I was amused that, at the finish line, there was a large crowd of people cheering each finisher as they crossed: I couldn't help laughing, but did appreciate it, anyway, when I ran in 2009!

Starting at the Esplanade de la Bandera, in front of Casa Maya, is a lot more beautiful place to run than Av Bonampak. Why they would consider changing it, is beyond me, as it would seem to me to have the potential of further complicating the traffic problems from road closures....

Did any readers of this forum run, besides ToriB????

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just starting this running gig about 8 weeks ago. That coupled with the head cold I have had for the last week, I was hoping to come in under an hour. I didn't walk much...30 seconds here and there to blow my nose. I kept it at a slower pace, as I didn't want to hate my first event and give up.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Good for you, ToriB, and good thinking. Easiest thing in the world is to try to do too much, suffer some setback, and give it up. Oldest story in the book.

Did you see anyone else you know running in the event?

8. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Saw tons of ppl I know....they are mostly marathon runners who did the 21K this time round.

I have given up on this running thing many many times.....til I found the couch 2 5k program. Greatest thing to happen to me!!!!!

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Did you bring back any pictures of the event you could post on here, and live up this forum a little?

10. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope. Was just me and my Dad and the clothes on our backs. I was disappointed no one was around to document this moment for me : (

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice