INM

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by gene37412, May 23, 2007.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its such a shame people complain so much on this board about immigration, you should be thankful they even consider giving out FM3's and the opportunity to work here. Even if you overstay a visa they don't deport you, just pay a little money and fix it.

Imagine coming from Mexico to the U.S and applying for a job, or just getting the equivalent of an Fm3 to hang out there, I don't fancy your chances to much! I overstayed my visa in the U.S for 2 months and I am now banned for a number of years.
    Immigration is a hassle in any country, believe me. Just be thankful they are willing to accept you here even if you have to go a few times.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Immigration in Mexico is harder in some ways and easier in others than Immigration in the US. And one factors is that US Immigration discriminates against Mexicans, where Mexican Immigration is relatively nice to Americans (instead they discriminate against Cubans, Argentinians and Italians).

You are right that they are often more relaxed here when it comes to overstaying a visa. In the US they practically line you up and shoot you for overstaying, it's nearly unforgivable there.

But in the US gaining permanent residency status is more straightforward than gaining the equivalent status here, and it takes WAY LESS TIME. In the US if my Mexican husband is granted permission to live there with me, then he is granted permission to work anywhere he chooses.

Here, as the wife of a Mexican, I must jump through hoops with Immigration to be allowed to work. They have no problem giving me permission to live here, but gaining permission to work is another, harder issue.

Immigration in Mexico is not too bad if you come here as a Rentista, meaning you have money coming in from outside the country that you plan to live on. But as soon as you need to work here then there is plenty to complain about with the way Immigration works here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice