Incident at Moon Palace

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Trent, May 10, 2007.

1. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are friends with someone who's wife is related to Jeff. We talked to him yesterday and according to the family there are two very interesting things to note on this story. Firstly, Jeff was apparently not found on the ground by any balcony; he was found on the golf course. Secondly, according to the medical staff who examined Jeff immediately upon return to Alberta, there are imprints on his head consistent to the outline of a boot. Again, I stress this is according to the family, so whether or not this is true I cannot say.

It may be a family either trying to tell the truth and seek justice or looking for someone else to blame. Either way, it is yet another sad story that happens too often everywhere, not just in Mexico, and right now the Canadian press is exaggerating the risk of travelling to Mexico. Whether it was an accident or a violent attack, I don't agree with the accusations of the Mexican authorities covering things up; it may just be the difference between how the authorities handle things there compared to Canada or the USA.

2. Trent

Trent Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with you. Most of the published evidence suggests he was very drunk and (possibly) rowdy. Everybody seemed really anxious for him to crash for some reason. I find it very hard to believe that staff at the moon palace attacked him. I just don't trust that AG after blaming the two single mothers for the Barcelo murders.

3. kwright

kwright Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was an investigator with a Medical Examiners office for more than 6 years. I was a Fellow of the American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators. I earned my media nickname of " No comment Kenny ". My experience is you never comment about these things until the autopsy report is out. If the ME rules "accident" because of what is found at autopsy the family will likely not accept the findings, but the Mexican investigators are cleared. If the ME rules " Homicide " the Mexican officials look like clowns and will likely not accept the findings but giving the family some small measure of vindication.

Another wrench in the works is the amount of time between admission to the hospital and autopsy. Unless blood samples are obtained from the Mexican hospital ( before medical intervention ), blood at autopsy will be completely useless. ETOH and most other possible drugs of abuse will be washed from the body.

So now everyone knows why I'm not in the death business any more. Its tragic, sad, gutwrenchingly emotional and just generaly no fun. ( CSI is BS ).

I'm back at the Moon Palace on June 5th ready for another major week of partying.

4. ELLABEAR424

ELLABEAR424 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Don't like CSI either! They look at everything with a flashlight even though there are flouresent lights hanging from the ceiling!!!! :roll:

5. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's not a fair (or even sane) comparison.
    Walsall doesn't make it's living as a tourist destination,
    and Toronto has 10 times the population.

There is no excuse for the vagarities which surround this case.

6. YamYamMan

YamYamMan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To be fair it wasn't a direct dig at Toronto or any Canadian... If you read my posts you will see I do FULLY sympathise with the whole situation although find it all a little sketchy on FACT on both sides of the argument.... The caparison with Walsall was made because I felt uneasy about travelling this coming Monday.. Me and Steve discussed the fact that a night out in Cancun is no more dangerous than a night out in my own town where Steve once resided :!:

You'd also be surprised how much money Walsall does actually make out of tourism :wink:

7. glenn/monique

glenn/monique Titties n Beer Registered Member

Ratings:
    +423 / 1
    His organs are being removed in Edmonton today. He has also given a brain dead prognosis here too. Cocaine was also found in his body. I guess that's why he was going back and forth to the room. Makes sense anyways. Doesn't really explain what happened to him but, I doubt it was security. The family has started a petition to get people in Canada to bocot Mexico. It's ridiculous to blame a country for a incident that could easily happen right here or any where else for that matter. I beleive that when you travel you have to remember where you are and not be so nieve to believe you are safe. Those same people lock their doors at home. Why should their guard be down on holidays?

8. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is the responsibility of one's host to assure (to the best they can) the safety and well being of one's guests, whether that be you and your house guests or the country of Mexico and it's tourists. If one is not willing to take on that responsibility, one ought not have guests. Same rules apply.

Going to Cancun is not supposed to be the same as going to New York City, nor is it promoted as such - and the Mexican government (not to mention Cancun's Chamber of Commerce) takes full economic advantage of that perception. They should then also be willing to step and and so whatever it takes to maintain that reputation - or be willing to give it up (which will quickly happen by default if these kinds of situations are not properly resolved).

And as far as facts being sketchy, it is the for the authorities to find out and disseminate the facts in the face of ambiguity, not the other way around. The authorities have both the resources and the responsibility to conduct and successfully conclude a credible investigation. It is their job, and in this case there is a clear lack of skill and dedication needed to meet that obligation.

The relatives are right in their campaign to discredit the meager and wholly inadequate efforts of the Mexican govenment to meet its responsibilities in this case. Even if the tourist were 100% at fault, there should be sufficient effort expended with results obtained to clearly demonstrate that fact, and the fact that this hasn't been done is a clear indictment of the Mexican authorities and it's lack of ability and regard to meet their responsibility.

9. glenn/monique

glenn/monique Titties n Beer Registered Member

Ratings:
    +423 / 1
    I agree on both accounts. I just feel the media in Canada is taking it way out of control. Mexico needs to deal with it properly and Canada needs to not go over board.

10. Denise-n-Jayson

Denise-n-Jayson Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    and exactly how do you "know" that it wasn't done??

The "facts" we are seeing are from the media and the voice of a distraught grieving family.. We do not have direct access to ANY evidence or lack there of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice