in case there is a hurricane

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by eutiqueo, May 30, 2007.

1. eutiqueo

eutiqueo Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what should i do and where are shelters located. Can you shared any experiences or Anecdotes

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, that's a big question. I think I have been through five hurricanes in total though only a couple of really big ones, I will jump in here with my two cents on the issue.

Be prepared. Many people have a "hurricane box" stocked up with water, batteries, tuna, flashlights, etc.. We are not quite that prepared but when we get a warning about a possible hurricane we don't hesitate to get to the store to stock up. The things we do have on hand are flashlights, lanterns, candles, battery operated radio, duct tape and our generator. The things you will need are enough non-perishable food and water for a few days to a week, you never know when the stores will reopen. That said, even after Wilma, some stores opened only one day after she left, though supplies were short, lines were long and tempers were flaring. If you are smokers, BUY CARTONS, there is nothing else to do but sit and smoke when you have no electricity.

Our water supply is run on an electrically operated bomba (pump) so after a hurricane we don't have water. Get yourself a big bucket for "showers".

If you are not going to board up the windows (we don't, they are just too big and too high off the ground), definitely tape them up in big crosses. This will prevent the glass from flying if the window breaks. If you think you want to board your windows, buy the wood and tools ahead of time, there is always a mad rush at the lumber yards after a warning has been issued.

Be prepared for a LOT of water. Mops, buckets, towels, sheets, we used everything absorbent in the house when Wilma hit and ended up throwing a few things away afterwards since they just wouldn't dry. Mildew smells. When you know the hurricane is imminent, move furniture to the center of the room or the highest part of the house. Unplug all electrical appliances and get to high ground. Usually the city will turn off the power before the hurricane hits so you'll have time to do this.

Have a first aid kit on hand.

Charge your cel phone to it's max, it won't last long (if there is service).

Get a big cooler and fill it with ice, it will give you a day of cool drinks anyway and keep any meats or perishables you had in your fridge a bit longer.

Find something to occupy your time, books, cards, board games, if it's anything like Wilma, you'll have a lot of time to kill.

Don't forget about your pets, have a safe place for them INSIDE (my stupid neighbours left their poor puppy outside during Wilma) and a supply of food. They will be scared too!

Here's a map of shelters in Cancun....
    http://www.proteccioncivil-qroo.gob.mx/Varios/cancun.htm

Here's a good link from the National Hurricane Center....
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/disaster_prevention.shtml

Here is the only site that I find reliable for good hurricane info...
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Other stuff- Be aware of the eye of the hurricane, I wouldn't stray too far from home, you never know when the full force will come back. Beware of power lines that are down, even if the city has turned everything off. Don't mess around with your gas tanks during the storm, that's how a couple of people died during Wilma. Don't drink excessively, you never know when you might have to do something heroic (and yes, rumor is that one person died of alcohol poisoning during Wilma, they couldn't get to the hospital for treatment).

That's all I can think of right now, hope it's helpful!

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kel - Great answer. But you left out beer. Booze sales are cut off by the city when a hit is imminent which can be 48 hours in advance. For Wilma we bought every single can and bottle in one of the tiendas near our old house. Don't forget toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, plastic cups, trash bags, plastic cutlery. Washing dishes is not what you want to spend your water on and you have to eat. Costco has the only good tuna I have found in Cancun and believe me, I gave up till I found this stuff.

Make sure you propane tanks are full so you can heat canned veggies, etc.

And fill your car with gas every time you can, even if you only put 100 pesos in. When its gone, its gone and lines can be brutal.

It's sort of like camping out only dangerous.

Surely there is more but I am drawing a blank. Oh yeah, get a machete for self defense. I got two in case the banditos take one away from me.

4. ELLABEAR424

ELLABEAR424 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Warning to the Banditos - Take whatever you want but don't touch T.J.'s Booze. He won't hesitate to start slicin' and dicin'

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p :p :wink: :wink: :wink:
    you are too funny

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point TJ, lol! Beer and machetes, the staples of hurricane preparedness. :wink:

I received this email from the Canadian consulate today.......

WARNING TO CANADIAN CITIZENS IN QUINTANA ROO, CAMPECHE AND YUCATAN STATE

Please share the following important information with all the Canadian citizens in your organization, area or district.
    Hurricane Season is now upon us and extends from June 1 through November 30. The key to hurricane or tropical storm protection is preparation, and we encourage you and your family to review your personal safety practices. By taking sensible measures before, during, and after a hurricane, many lives can be saved and property damage averted.
    Keep well informed by listening to the latest warnings and advisories on the radio, television, or web sites. Many Hurricane Centres will issue and update these when necessary. It is also important to follow the advice of local authorities and emergency response personnel. Note that the contact information for Protección Civil authorities in your state is as follows:

CIVIL PROTECTION IN CANCUN (PROTECCION CIVIL)
    Av. Tulum No. 5 SM. 5 Cancún, Q.Roo
    Tel. 011-52 (998) 881-2850

CIVIL PROTECTION IN COZUMEL
    Local de Bomberos, Juárez con 60, Col. Adolfo Lopez Mateos, Cozumel, Q.Roo
    Tel. 011-52 (987) 872-6452

CIVIL PROTECTION IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN
    Av. 20 entre calle 8 y 10, M. 101 S/N, Col. Centro, Playa del Carmen, Q.Roo
    Tel. 011-52 (984) 877-3053 EXT 2030/ 2031

CIVIL PROTECTION IN ISLA MUJERES
    Palacio Municipal, Av. Hidalgo por Morelos S/N
    Col. Centro, Isla Mujeres, Q.Roo
    Tel. 011-52 (998) 877-0098

CIVIL PROTECTION IN CHETUMAL (4 HOURS SOUTH OF CANCUN)
    Retorno No. 423, esq. Presa Requena Col. Campestre Chetumal, Q.Roo.
    Tel. 011-52 (983) 832-1274 / 833-0828

CIVIL PROTECTION IN MERIDA(YUCATAN STATE)
    Calle 27 No. 199-B Por 20 y 22 Col. Garcia Gineres Mérida, Yucatan
    Tel. 011-52 (999) 925-7399

CIVIL PROTECTION CAMPECHE
    Calle 12, No. 126, Col. Centro, Campeche, Campeche
    Tel. 011-52 (981) 816-0496

A hurricane preparedness plan includes three basic elements that are important in the threat of any severe weather event, and not just for hurricanes:

1. Maintaining a disaster or emergency supply kit;
    2. Securing your home and property;
    3. Having a safe place to go in the event of evacuation or prolonged utility outage.

We would encourage you to visit the following web sites where further information is available, on hurricanes specifically and emergency preparedness in general.
    Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada at: www.voyage.gc.ca On this page, visit the Travel Report for Mexico for information on official warnings regarding local hurricanes. Visit the Hurricane Season Current Issues for more information on hurricanes and the latest developments.
    Public Safety Canada at:http://www.getprepared.ca/risks/hurricanes_e.asp
    The US National Hurricane Centre at: www.nhc.noaa.gov
    We would be grateful if you would pass on the contents of this letter to any other Canadian citizens you know, and have them bring their whereabouts to our attention if they are not already registered with us.

For consular emergencies, please contact the Consulate of Canada in Cancun, located at, Plaza Caracol 2, Local 330 , Zona Hotelera, Km 8.5 , Cancún, Q. Roo, Mexico, 77500, Tel: (998) 883-3360 or 883-3361 from Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or at cancun@canada.org.mx. After hours and on weekends, you may call the Operations Centre of Foreign Affairs Canada in Ottawa via the toll free number 001-800-514-0129 or place a collect call at (613) 996-8885.

Best Regards

Daniel Lavoie,
    Honorary Consul, Consulate of Canada in Cancun

6. eutiqueo

eutiqueo Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :shock: thats a lot of info, but indeed dose help me and others.

Why don't you guys buy a rain barrel that way you can use it for many things

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    eutiqueo,
    With the amount of dengue in the area, having any standing water is an invitation to mosquitoes, so a rain barrel isn't a great idea around here. The health department comes around checking for any standing water and spreading anti dengue powder around every couple of months, the barrel would definitely be a hazard. (They were here just a couple of days ago so it's fresh in my mind).

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another suggestion regarding cell phones. Even if you don't own a car, every man, woman, child and even infants have cell phones. Spend a few pesos and get a car phone charger. Cell service was restored faster than electrical service after Wilma. So, if you know someone with a car, you can borrow some battery power to charge your phone so that you are at least able to communicate even if you have no electric.

9. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm with TJ on the cell phone thing. I had to borrow but at least I had someone to borrow from. That car charger was treated like gold and everyone wanted a chance at it. I would also make sure you have slews of credit on your phone because without it, a battery charger won't do you much good!

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I think you forgot, do not park your car next to walls that are likely to collapse :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice