In Cancún, Police Pick Wrong People for ‘Bite’

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Oct 29, 2009.

1. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: PASSION FOR THE ISSUE

Sorry, that's my style, don't presume it means I think it's ok.

I live here and yes, I have had to deal with it, of course. And I live with a Mexican, and I know there are things I don't even know about. I have paid 'extra' to have my electrical service connected - along with my Mexican neighbor. No, I have not paid a bribe for traffic violations, I don't drive a car. Maybe you understood me to say that it is ok. It is NOT, I just wanted to add that it's not just the tourists who are played with the mordida. That was my only point. I hate the intimidation and attempts to extort from innocent people as much as anyone else here. Just wanted to point out that it happens to locals too.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    BEST OF LUCK!

Hi, Heat, and thanks for getting back, on that. By the way, I read about your very unfortunate difficulties lining up a visa to Canada, and I want you to know that I wish you the very best of luck with that; and, personally, will think positive thoughts for you! Wish I could do more. It must be very frustrating....

But, about paying what amount to bribes to get things done, I've just never found it necessary, and I've lived in far more corrupt societies than Mexico. Dogged persistence has gotten the job done for me, so far. There seems to be something in the realization that you're going to quietly persist, and you're not going to pay extra, that sends the right message. ('Course I've never tried to get a utility hookup in Cancun!)

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In an attempt to lighten the mood of this thread, which I started, this corrupt policeman probably doesn't ask for his mordidas politely. Who can identify him? (Hint: It's got nothing to do with "Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges").

[​IMG]

4. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is my tourista response. I would probably just pay the mordida for fear of being brought to the station to be shaken down for more money and the fear of a Mexican jail. Without knowing what would happen if I were just to say give me the ticket, I'd rather just pay the bribe.

So I believe they have a great advantage on getting the mordida out of most tourist's.

Just a non locals view.

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are making my point for me by coming at this from your personal cultural perspective. Indeed, by your and my NOB perspective(s) everything about this is wrong, and the targetting of tourist vehicles is doubly wrong.

But from the Mexican perspective, the mordida is part of life. It always has been, and at least for the near future, it will continue to be part of life, embedded in the culture and exercised daily. It is not our place, and it probably is in violation of our residency permits, to attempt to force change. You can, as V did, buck the system, or you can as I and countless others have, play the game and be done with it.

As far as you threatening harm unless you are given money, there's an implied physicality in that comment that is not part of this discussion. Small financial harm yes, but no Transito is threatening to blow a tourist's head off if he doesn't get 50 pesos. Besides, the heaviest weapon they carry is a flashlight :).

In a nation with a government and a people that abides and cooperates with the likes of Carlos Slim's monopolies and the STPRM union that bleeds Pemex, you're just tilting at windmills.

6. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    (My post from a few minutes ago on TA--the whole thread is interesting: http://cancun-hotels.tripadvisor.co...olice_Extortion-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html )
    52. Re: Police Extortion
    Oct 31, 2009, 10:18 AM
    Concerning the Minn. Senator stopped by the Cancun Police and asked for a payment: Actually I have heard lots of similar stories--especially at spring break time--not to mention the ones we don't hear about. The police will drive them to their hotel, home, bank or to those of friends is now very typical in the hotel zone to ask for that amount of money--even from locals especially for real as opposed to imaginary infractions such as dui.

You used to be able to get away with $50 pesos but not anymore. And if it is a Federal cop on the way to Playa, then they also want more than the local cops.

More info in today's Por Esto says:

1.- Names of the two Tourist Police elements who did it(not traffic cops): José Cruz Flores--suspended and under investigation and José Manuel Vega Benítez who abandonded his post when requested to make a statement.

2.- A shameful act is what the Chief said ( my news reporting stops here and the rest is NOT from the papaer but from me!) when he and everyone else in Mexico know it happens thousands of times every day and is accepted as a way of life. In fact the cops who request and/or take bribes are REQUIRED to share with the higher ups at established percentages and many bosses even have a daily quota that they require from each cop. The "shameful" part was getting caught gouging a vociferous and influential person.

Maybe you aren't influential, but you can be vociferous!!

I met the new US Consul the other day--Bruce--nice guy--contact him or the Consulate nearest you if you are ever stopped UNJUSTIFIABLY by the police.
    The U.S. Consular Agency in Cancun is located at:

Plaza Caracol Two, Second Level, No. 320-323
    Boulevard Kukulkan, Km. 8.5, Zona Hotelera.
    Phone: (998) 883-0272.
    Email: cancunagency@gmail.com.
    U.S. citizens may also contact or visit the U.S. Consulate in Merida, the U.S. Consular Agency in Cozumel, or the U.S. Consular Agency in Playa del Carmen for emergency or other assistance.
    The U.S. Consulate in Merida is located at:

Calle 60 No. 338 K x 29 y 31
    Colonia Alcala Martin

Telephone from the United States: (011)(52)(999) 942-5700
    Telephone within Merida: 942-5700
    Telephone long distance within Mexico (01)(999) 942-5700.

You may also contact the Consulate by e-mail at: meridancons@state.gov

The U.S. Consulate’s web page is:
    http://merida.usconsulate.gov
    The consular agencies in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen are located at the following addresses:
    Cozumel:
    Plaza Villa Mar en El Centro, Plaza Principal
    (Parque Juárez between Melgar and 5th Ave.)
    2nd floor, Locales #8 and 9;
    Telephone: (52)(987) 872-4574
    Emergency Duty Phone: (52)(1)(987) 876-0624
    Playa del Carmen:
    “The Palapa” Calle 1 Sur, Entre 15 Av. Y 20 Av.
    Telephone: (52)(984) 873-0303
    Emergency Duty Phone: (52)(1)(984) 807-8355.

Please note that this office is temporarily under construction. For more information, see our previous advisory.

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Threatening to arrest someone and take them to a Mexican jail doesn't imply great risk of physical danger to you?

and again let me reiterate.... I'm NOT focused on the "50 pesos" speeding "bites" (although its starts there and escalates), I'm talking about the cops who target rental cars and tourists who are largely DOING NOTHING WRONG just to extort large amounts of money from them by threats of arrests, imprisonment, and fear of the unknown.

We're going to have to agree to disagree if your attitude towards it is that its no big deal... IMO its a the very root of the problems that keep Mexico down..

8. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That was my point too Life.

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think we agree more than you give me credit for. It is the very root of the problem. Where we differ is in thinking that anything can be done about it without a fundamental change in attitudes by the government and people of Mexico. Perhaps, if the foreign diplomatic representation in Mexico were more proactive in exposing this pattern of corruption as it affects us, we might see a change.

And to repeat, I don't see it as "no big deal". I do see at as a normalized behavior in this culture. I am as opposed to it as the next, but I'm not willing to be at the forefront of the campaign against it. Perhaps if I were younger. Perhaps if I were working. In my dotage however, I choose the path of least resistance, which oddly enough, is what most Mexicans choose as well.

10. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We don't disagree on that point... but that change has to start somewhere....

and thus the problem grows...

BINGO! and thats what has to change if Mexico ever wants to reach "1st world" status and enjoy the security that comes with it. Like many of you I'm sure, I see huge potential in Mexico, and its infuriating that the vast majority of its people just allow things to go on and perpetuate the downward cycle.

I don't expect a perfect utopia, nor do I want a bloody revolution, but the potential for dramatic improvement is there, if people would just stop looking the other way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice