immigration

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by bt, Oct 9, 2012.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Congratulations, bt!

Scorpio, there is no confusion on that, the date is 12 November: it says so in the regulations. I intend to apply for permanent residency under the new regulations, on the point system. To give myself that opportunity, I will not apply until that date, eventhough I could apply this month, under the old rules.

I suspect the comment bt mentioned was in reference to his next renewal, not when the new laws and regulations will begin to be applied to actual cases.

The first test the INM will face in implementing the new is whether their website will be ready on that date, because there are changes that will affect the content of some of the online forms.

New Immigration Laws 2012-Yucatan Expatriate Services |Yucatan Expatriate Services

I went back and looked at this blog, just to see how it was evolving. The author appears to me to be shooting from the hip- few cites to the new law and regulations, and little analysis.

I've mentioned this before, but she doesn't seem to recognize the possibilities for visa free entry, nor the issues such entry raises under the new laws and regulations. Further, if a person is going to write in this area, they should at least consistently distinguish between visas issued at embassies and consulates abroad, and the immigration documents issued by INM, in country, which are not visas. I don't find the author doing that. This is not just a "technical" objection: it introduces considerable confusion to the discussion, and may suggest that the author is confused themselves, on this subject.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
    On the question limejello raised, the author of the blog agrees with limejello's impression that there are large income requirements, without citing any law, regulation or published guidelines to support her statements about it. Whether she is, nonetheless, right about this remains to be seen: I don't expect that to happen, in part because of the difference in requirements for a visa in which the applicant is the foreign spouse, and an application directed to INM seeking residency, based on family unity, in which the applicant is the Mexican spouse.

By the way, limejello, if you do find something more authoritative on this question, please let us know as soon as you do.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny video about Immigration...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  3. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LMFAO. Luv Blondie!!

4. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, V. I definitely will. I'm holding off until the new regs go into effect until I ask any more questions because at this point it doesn't make much sense to query anyone else.

That would be great if they took my potential income into account, though!

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Won't have to wait long, as that will be Monday.

Anyone who hopes to get in under the existing law has just three working days left to file with INM. Starting with cases filed Monday, and afterwards, everything will be processed under the new law and regulations.

6. limejello

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Getting antsy here...

On a different note, my husband applied for US citizenship in July, had his interview last month, and is STILL waiting for a decision. It could take up to 120 days. :-(

7. limejello

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The long-awaited day has arrived, and now I have a better idea what to expect when applying for temporary resident as a family member of a Mexican.

I have the option of entering the country as a tourist, and change my status to a residente temporal. This is different from other visa categories like retirees or employees of a Mexican company, which require processing a visa before entering Mexico.

The new requirements for changing status from FMM or student visa to temporary resident based on family relationship with a Mexican are listed here.

For comparison's sake, here are the previous requirements, published in 2010, for changing status based on family relationship (specifically, dependiente economico).

I can also go the route of processing the visa before leaving the US. Those requirements are listed here.

In either case, proving economic solvency is no longer a listed requirement.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Good work! I´m glad this is no longer a concern.

You´re proposed route to enter the country sounds like the one I´d suggested would be possible, earlier; that is, come in as a tourist, without a visa, and apply for a change of status within six months of entry.

If you have time, I wonder if you could find the former rules applied to those in your status, married to a Mexican. Your cite to the former rules is to those wishing to change status if married to a foreign resident of Mexico. And the one you mentioned as applying to applications for a visa appear to actually be the requirements for proceedings before the INM, in country.

Have a look, and see what you think.

9. limejello

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Posting the previous requirements for family members of No Imigrantes as opposed to Mexicans seems to have been an oversight on my part. :aktion014:

Now that that INM website has changed, it's a bit more difficult to find it!

Instead, I found the previous (2010) law in its entirety. The old requirements applying to family members of Mexicans can be found in Section 2, part 2.28. The section pertaining to característica familiar is on page 67.

So, I'm very happy I don't have to worry about this! :icon_surprised:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That´s right, this is the section I directed your attention to in my post of October 20.

You´re the only poster I´ve seen who seems to be taking the trouble to dig this stuff out. People don´t want to be bothered: can´t say I blame them, but I consider it worth the trouble to get first hand information, when I can.

Let me know if you run across the detailed requirements for the point system of qualifying for permanent residency, said to be published (now, or sometime in the future) in the DOF. I hope to qualify, but I haven´t yet seen how many points, in what categories are required. This doesn´t appear in the law or regulations, but is supposed to be published, somewhere, sometime!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice