immigration

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by bt, Oct 9, 2012.

1. bt

bt Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    went today to start renewal of my FM2, and took the advice of some to go late, went at 11;30 am and have to say it was way worse than going early as I always do, Really Really crowded-could be was just today?? one thing -if you are over sixty-tell them-they will then hustle you thru- I was in and out in about half an hour -due to my age- But when I return Ill go early , Will post on how long this takes this time

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I expect things to move more slowly in that office for the next two to three months as a result of the implementation of the rule changes: there will be lots of uncertainty on both sides of the counters, adding to the time it will take to deal with each person.

Fortunately for my wife, her renewal of her FM3 was completed on 23-24 September, with one visit on each of those two days to finalize the process, with relatively little wait time. Her renewal was done under the old rules, so there were no changes in the process that affected her.

B.T., was your renewal "window" such that you could have waited until 28 October to apply, and perhaps taken advantage of the benefits of the new rules; that is, "permanent residency", instead of another FM2?

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I went on Monday, they said the "new" visa will start by the 12th of November.

According to the 3 INM workers I spoke to, and I quote, "...you will be able to choose 1-4 years when you renew the NEW visa..." They also said that "with the new one, FM3 and FM2 will become the same thing".

Now, towards Citizenship: They said that a points-system, like in Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. will be implemented as well.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Under the new system, Rawkus, there will be two broad categories of migratory documents available, "temporarary residence" and "permanent residence", and these will not in every respect correspond to the old FM2/3s we were familiar with. Our expats will be choosing from among these, when they meet the requirements.

It's not quite accurate to say, "FM2 and FM3 will become the same", as you did. Neither exists under the new system, and the two new categories do not exactly match the old in their benefits and requirements. We have to start thinking, and speaking, in the new categories, to avoid confusion.

Those who qualify will probably choose the "permanent residency" category, as I intend to. Many retirees will be able to take advantage of this, as many of them will be immediately eligible; likewise, those who already have four renewals under the old system.

5. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Their words, not mine :)

Maybe they meant something else?

Im curious of how they are going to implement it all, as, when asking them, they are already confused themselves.

If ones renewal is due AFTER the changes, it can leave the person(applicant) in a bit of a "gap", according to INM. They are working on it as we speak.

For once, Im lucky. I will be able to, if they just do their damn job for once, to squeeze in my change to FM2 right before the new visa starts. Then, in a years time, I will get the new, bright and shiny one, hehe :D

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    No, Rawkus, they meant what they said, but they were saying something they thought you'd understand, and that was appropriate to your situation.

Any good communicator uses this technique at times, trying to relate their message to something the listener is familiar with.

The rules are long, but it's all laid out there to read: Google Translate can make it faster, if you wish.

DOF - Diario Oficial de la Federación

You must have realized by now that asking INM personnel for answers can only get you part of the picture: do your homework, read the rules, and you'll be happier.

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just quoted the exact words. I do know that they FM3/2´s will be scratched. :)

I would have used different terms when describing the change, though. :)

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guys, I really think FM2s and FM3s were already scratched. Nowhere on my (what I call) FM2 does it say FM2. It just says INMIGRANTE. I would think the FM3s, as we knew them, simply say NON-INMIGRANTE

it is sort of like me continuing to say Paseo Cancun when the name is now something like Plaza Outlet Mall Cancun But We Don't Have Outlet Prices Except At Sunglass Island. Well this should be the name.

I found shirts there the other day that were MORE than at Liverpool for the same exact brand and style. This was at the store with Zara, Pull & Bear, Bershka and other signs in the store. So I went to Liverpool and found they were giving 15% monedero so it was a great day.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's right, T.J. Many people continued to refer to them, using the old designations, but it didn't confuse because they were all but identical in requirements and benefits to the FM2/3s.

Now, it will be more important than ever for people to adopt the new terminology.

10. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So sorry to veer off topic, but I had to throw in that the Nike outlet, the Guess outlet and the UnderArmour outlet all have pretty great deals.

I do agree that last time I went into the mixed brand stores (Zara, Bershka, etc), they had MAYBE dropped the prices $50 pesos, and that's being generous.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice